Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to for suggestions for a first trap gun for my 9 year old brother. He is extremely exited to get into trap shooting and wants to bump up from the range gun he’s been using. I’ve been looking at the Savage 555 trap compact. Wondering if that’s a good gun or if there are any other suggestions. Not looking to spend a bunch of money on a gun for him, preferably under 1,500. Will upgrade once he knows that he wants to do it for awhile.

· Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Recoilless
1,567 Posts
As mentioned a BT-99 Micro would be a great gun for a young shooter unless you have your heart set on an over under and then I'd be looking at an older used Citori before I'd purchase a new Savage. You get alot more gun for the $ and you'll have plenty leftover to get the stock shortened and an adjustable comb installed to help tweek the fit.

· Registered
100 Posts
I would like it to be a 20 gauge, as that is what he is shooting now. Don’t want to turn I’m away from shooting by giving him a 12 too soon
You can easily load 3/4 or 7/8 oz. loads in the 12 gauge when components become available. I also would recommend a BT-99. Over the years thousands of them have been setup for juniors and smaller adults. Remember--The most important things are gun fit and does it shoot where you look.

· Registered
88 Posts
Started my son on a micro midas bt-99 this year and he absolutely loves it. I myself couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it lol. Definitely short little guns for smaller framed shooters and would work perfectly for your brother for several years to come.

· Registered
Son: Browning Citori CXT Trap / 32" / Country Gentleman comb and adjustable butt plate added
165 Posts
My son started at 11 yrs old. His first clays gun was a Remington 1100 LT-20. We added a 28" barrel that would take chokes. He was a little guy shooting Trap, Skeet, and Sporting. As he grew and his confidence grew he progressed to an Ber AL391 for all three. Currently, he has migrated from the team stuff and shoots only trap - when he made that decision we got him a Citori CXT.

My suggestion - if you have any coaches, school teams, or youth shooting near you contact them. My sons first shotgun experience was with a borrowed LT20. I was lucky it was a good fit and forgiving recoil. Another kid that was with us around the same time did not get a good fit, had a horrible experience and didn't make it past the first practice.

All of my guns were used. This is a great forum and for the most part the trap community are good people. Do your research but don't be afraid of used.

Also - on his 1st 12ga we had the group we bought it from add the kick-ez butt plate. Helped with recoil and made it adjustable as he grew.

If you think it will be something he sticks with - look for one with an adjustable comb and butt plate - the gun can "grow" with him and last longer that way.

· Registered
17 Posts
We started with a BT-99. You can find those used with adj. comb under 1500. Citori O/U maybe a few hundred more. semi auto are great too, the beretta a300 syn.(not a trap gun but i see many use one for trap) is about 700 new and you can adj. length of pull and cast on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.