Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been shooting this gun for about 18 months now with no issue. The other day I was shooting and 2 boxes into my day the cheek bone started to get sore...and got worse. Some shots seemed ok and some bit pretty good. Still pretty tender now. Trying to figure out why now...what changed?

I like to shoot a flat gun and this stock is not fitted to me so I do get fairly firm into the comb on setup.

I was using the same ammo as always....1 1/8 oz, 1200 fps. Typical day is about 4 rounds.

The only differences that I can note are was wearing cold weather jacket for first time this season....(wore the same jacket last winter with no issues?) and there was an increase in the recent shoot frequency. Typically shoot this gun once a week...maybe twice...Sunday was the 6 day in two weeks that I shot the gun.

Any thoughts of wisdom as to why the issue now....kind of perplexed?

Also what might be remendy?

....this gun does have an adjustable comb....which is currently NOT adjusted...down all the way (flat shooter) but also centered l-r

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Your stock's butt is allowed to move a little farther back at the shot than normal. The comb then jams your cheek bone causing the cheek hickie due to slope of the comb.

Do yourself a favor and figure out a way to make the comb parallel to the bore/rib and shoot where you want. That alone will stop the hurt.

HAP

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
I've had the same thing happen to me. It can be many different things. When I shoot in winter I go to a thinner pad so my LOP does not change due to my winter shooting clothing being thicker. Have you gained or lost any weight making your face a bit thinner or fuller? It can also be that you are holding the gun or your stance a bit different?

A friend of mine decided to shoot with the same vest through out his career because of the same reason as yours plus his scores suffered other wise. Meadow industries offers a vinyl thin pad that that covers the comb that is held by velcro that usually eliminates recoil to the face. One thing I know recoil to the face will make you lift your face off the comb it can get that bad.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Banned
183 Posts
Depending on your disposable income, get your stock fitted by someone who knows what they're doing. Easier said than done. As with most issues, do not follow the advice of anyone at your club.

You might contact Tron on this site.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Soft top comb.

Is this an actual trap configured gun? Meaning a parallel comb.

Like HAP mentioned, there is now something else going on. More movement of the gun, and maybe a different direction. Added airspace because of the thicker clothing not only allows more movement on recoil, but makes the LOP change. So, maybe even a thinner pad would help with the LOP change, but would do nothing for the guns rearward movement, with angled down comb if present. At least the soft top comb would be a little better for the cheek impact.

·
Premium Member
10,495 Posts
Until I had custom stocks made, I had the same problem. I "dug" into the stock too hard too. My cheek would get sore and even would break open and bleed. I had a stock maker make a soft top comb for me and the problem disappeared. It was great.

Since then I have always used a soft top. In 2005 I had my shoulders replaced and had custom stocks, made by LockStock's Pat McCarthy at Dawson Enterprises in Ohio. It's like heaven shooting with stocks that fit, recoil automatically and I still use rubber soft tops, made by TrapDude. Good luck. Happy Thanksgiving.

·
Banned
899 Posts
Meadow industries offers a vinyl thin pad that that covers the comb that is held by velcro that usually eliminates recoil to the face.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin
Those work well, but the material is so thin that with the amount of movement it just turns into a mess pretty quick.

·
Banned
899 Posts
....this gun comb....which is does have an adjustable currently NOT adjusted...down all the way (flat shooter) but also centered l-r
Thanks in advance.
First thing I would do is adjust it away from your face.

·
Registered
384 Posts
You may have unknowingly changed your gun mount. Happens to me sometimes. More felt recoil is a good clue that I have slipped into a poor gun mount.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
"Some shots seemed ok and some bit pretty good."

1. Winter jacket effectively lengths pull
2. Longer LOP if no parallel comb = more drop at comb
3. More drop = head raising to see the target as before
4.Head raising = "check slap"
5. As we age, we normally lose cushion (fat ;) ) under our check (zygoma). Have you gained or lost weight this last year? Lost pectoralis muscle mass (shortens LOP)? Gained upper chest fat (lengthens LOP)? Compare a family picture from last Christmas.

Cure:
1. Good stock fitter
or 2. What Hap said (adjust comb to parallel and slightly higher) + soft comb pad

·
Registered
15 Posts
Been shooting this gun for about 18 months now with no issue. The other day I was shooting and 2 boxes into my day the cheek bone started to get sore...and got worse. Some shots seemed ok and some bit pretty good. Still pretty tender now. Trying to figure out why now...what changed?

I like to shoot a flat gun and this stock is not fitted to me so I do get fairly firm into the comb on setup.

I was using the same ammo as always....1 1/8 oz, 1200 fps. Typical day is about 4 rounds.

The only differences that I can note are was wearing cold weather jacket for first time this season....(wore the same jacket last winter with no issues?) and there was an increase in the recent shoot frequency. Typically shoot this gun once a week...maybe twice...Sunday was the 6 day in two weeks that I shot the gun.

....this gun does have an adjustable comb....which is currently NOT adjusted...down all the way (flat shooter) but also centered l-r

Thanks in advance.

One thought is that maybe your face is sticking to the stock some and causing your cheek bone to catch the recoil. Some of my buddies use talcum on the cheek to avoid the recoil. They use Remington FaceSaver which is and Electric Pre-Shave Powder. It comes in a 1" dia x 2 long solid stick applicator that they keep in their shooting back. I have some but have never used it but my two buddies use it all the time.

I would also check to make sure you are mounting your gun the way you normally mount it. Has your shooting performance remained the same? A falloff might mean you are mounting your gun differently and cause the recoil into your cheek.

Cheers!

·
Registered
179 Posts
If talcum powder, chap stick, or shave sticks don't work, you may want to look at a padded comb.
A new comb can be made for you or you can pad your current one with a cheek-eek pad.
They are inexpensive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the exact problem happen early in my shooting. What I eventually found is that somehow a slight style change creeped in and it was that while at first I was putting my cheek AGAINST the comb which worked well, I was now putting the cheek OVER the comb and crunching it down to stack the beads and that is where the pain came in. I was paying more attention to the beads than I was to my shooting. I then changed back to an erect head, stopped crunching my face over the comb, and the problem went away. Since it was good for you at first, I would hesitate changing the gun. Also, perhaps a short time off would be good so you can start clean and avoid getting a flinch habit which can be very hard to break.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Adding weight to the stock sometimes lessens the face slap. My 870 Express became a tolerable by filling the cavity in the stock with lead chunks.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts

What changed is both the jacket and the amount of shooting.

Easy answer...

Chorus "Get it fitted, and get a parallel comb"

It's that simple.

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,590 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Have you been able to resolve your issue? What worked for you?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts