Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Trap Shooters! I have been reading posts on this site for some time now and finally decided to make an account so I can get more involved. I have been shooting for about a year now and have finally got my scores up to where I am confident going into the State Shoot. My question for you more experienced shooters is.... Do you have any advice/tips/comments on shooting in the State Shoot? This is not my first time shooting competition and I am familiar with the common courtesy/etiquette of Trap Shooting.

All comments welcome! Thanks

-DC

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
DC
If you have been to a few local ATA shoots you are likely good to go. Give yourself a bit of extra time. Depending on when you arrive the squading and classification lines may be long. Presquad if possible
. Be aware of target minimums so you know whether or not you have to shoot penalty yardage. If anyone you know is going see if they would like to squad together as it is more fun shooting with friends.

No matter what state your in, go and I am sure you will have some fun. I have been to a bunch and don't recall a bad one. Although some were better then others.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I went to my first state shoot in July, 2014. I'm not experienced enough to give you advice, but I can tell you to avoid all of the mistakes I made such as:
1. Have someone explain how the bank system works, eg. 4 fields in one bank, or maybe 2 fields in one bank, and how to find the field you are starting on.
2. Get there in plenty of time. I looked at the schedule the first day, thought I had plenty of time, arrived late, and missed the first 25.
3. Find out if they have a "make up field" for dumb souls like me to make up the missed trap.
4. Establish a home base somewhere at the club to sit down and take a load off between events. It's a long day. If someone invites you to their motor home to share a lemonade or tea, take them up on it. It's good for your soul.
5. Pay attention to the PA system calling for shoot-offs at the end of the day. I was busy grilling dinner at the Great Lakes Grand two weeks ago when they called my name and I had to jog, with gun and shells, all the way to the other end for a shoot-off to avoid being defaulted.
6. Don't get upset with yourself if you shoot out of turn, or forget to shoot when it is your turn. I've already done that, so you won't be the first. Don't get all bent out of shape if you start missing a lot of targets. The guy next to you may be on his way to a 100 and doesn't need your pouting or negative comments. I secretly cheer for everyone on my squad. Good shooting rubs off!
7. Have fun! I would rather have some really bad scores at the trap range, then a good day at the office.
8. Meet some really great folks - of all ages. I have trouble remembering names, so I am going to start writing them down. I think some of those young folks will be famous in the future.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Like the others said, give yourself plenty of time and be on time to your shooting squad. If you don't have enough targets for classification, then you will be classified in a higher class, but just shoot and enjoy yourself. If you like this, then go to local shoots in the summer and fall, join a local league for the fall and winter, and in the spring they have all kinds f shoots to build your target count up at registered shoots. Make friends and ask questions! Have fun & be safe, Steve

·
Banned
197 Posts
Try not to worry too much about your scores, I realize that you want to give a good account of yourself but adding additional stress won't help at all. Besides, there will be some amazing shooters attending your (or any) state shoot so the chances of actually winning an event get pretty slim if you miss even a single target or two. Just try to focus on doing the best you can do that day.

Find some shade and bring a folding chair.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Meet and introduce yourself to your delegate and as many other state and shoot officials that you see and also thank them for what they do. If you're having a good time, let them know. Take your own lawn chair and a cooler so you'll have those available at any time during your day. Stay hydrated and enjoy the experience, bet it won't be your last.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't be afraid to ask a gun club official a question.We are here to help!!! Use us please!!!
Please know that unless you shoot all over the state the known pool is larger.. big big fish in their curernt pond may not be that big in larger pool.
If you need a rule book please ask a director we will happily give you one. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE P.L.E.A.S.E. ( did I say Please?) be sure your sheets are correct BEFORE you leave the line.. make sure all corrected targets (i.e. one that was inadvertaly called loss but was indeed dead and this was corrected on the score sheet) are initialed and marked as dead, if it comes to us in the office without these marks on the sheet it is loss target. Save the heartache and take the moment to inspect the sheet. Please realize that the trap help can and will make a mistake .. though we try to keep it at a minimum things happen.. do not yell at the help.. do not lose your temper.. this helps nothing. ask for a line ref to solve whatever issue you might be having.
Please hydrate!!!! We want you to have the best shoot possible and that starts with common sense .. if it 100 degrees out.. drink twice the water you normally would.. take it easy on the soda ( carbonation is the devil in hot weather..LOL), and last but not least have fun!!!!!! Introduce yourself to someone new each day...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts