Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting 17 grains of red dot powder loaded in a AA hull with 1 1/8 oz. Of Lawrence shot for singles for about a year now and really like the shell. But would like to have something a little quicker for my first shot of doubles without much more recoil.
If I changed to a one oz. Load of shot With the same 17 grains would it change the speed that much?

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
Folks used to put one 20 ga tube in their gun and shoot the first doubles target with it. The primary reason rules were changed was to make sure the gun would only shoot shells of one gauge.

If you take the first doubles target with any speed, a 7/8 oz load at 1200 or so will grind the bird. Vastly reduced recoil, quicker recovery time for the second bird.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I haven't been shooting doubles very long. For 16 yd. and 20 yd. handicap I shoot 7/8 ounce #8 @ 1275 FPS and that load smokes 'em. I use the same load for both shots in doubles with excellent results using light mod. and light full chokes. For me, gun hold is more critical to breaking the first target which makes the second target easier to get.

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
I haven't been shooting doubles very long. For 16 yd. and 20 yd. handicap I shoot 7/8 ounce #8 @ 1275 FPS and that load smokes 'em. I use the same load for both shots in doubles with excellent results using light mod. and light full chokes. For me, gun hold is more critical to breaking the first target which makes the second target easier to get.
Just wondering what type of Average you carry with this load?
MG

·
Registered
259 Posts
. Folks used to put one 20 ga tube in their gun and shoot the first doubles target with it. The primary reason rules were changed was to make sure the gun would only shoot shells of one gauge.

If you take the first doubles target with any speed, a 7/8 oz load at 1200 or so will grind the bird. Vastly reduced recoil, quicker recovery time for the second bird.
7/8 load at 1200 is a very soft. I tried 3/4 oz for curiosity for recoil. The first few shells made me notice about the less recoil, it was noticeable. Lol But I decided on 7/8 oz for shot count.

·
Registered
259 Posts
. New
Good for you, less recoil, more fun shooting...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I know some here will consider it heresy but I shoot 7/8 oz of #9 for the first shot sometimes loaded to 1225 fps and sometimes 1250. That target is not very far away when you shoot it and #9 carries plenty of energy that far. My doubles average does not suffer from the first shot - it's the second one that gets me. Also loading #9 means I can use the same shells when I shoot that other game - you know, the one with the semi-circular shooting path. :09:

·
Premium Member
6,025 Posts
Folks used to put one 20 ga tube in their gun and shoot the first doubles target with it. The primary reason rules were changed was to make sure the gun would only shoot shells of one gauge.

What claytarget venue was this? That's plumb ridiculous when all they needed was a 7/8 oz 12ga bullet in the first hole.

The uneducated!

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
Trap dubs in yesteryear. Part of the reason the rules read as they do. Gun must not be capable of shooting more than one gauge at the same time.

·
Premium Member
6,025 Posts
Trap dubs in yesteryear. Part of the reason the rules read as they do. Gun must not be capable of shooting more than one gauge at the same time.
What period is meant by yesteryear? I've traveled all over this country since the 70's and have never heard of and never heard of this even being discussed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Most accomplished doubles shooters seem to take the first target quickly. You don't need a quicker shell. In fact, you could shoot a slower shell and still smoke the target. Try a couple boxes of Gold Medal Grand 1-1/8th ounce shells at 1100 FPS. Less recoil but still 1-1/8th ounce so you don't compromise payload. If you like them you can work up a similar reload with your AA's.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tried a 1 oz. Loaded with 17 grains
Of red dot in a AA hull with a 12sl pink wad and it seemed to work great for the first shot. Let's me get the target quick out of the house with little gun movement

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
More important, did you notice less recoil making it easier to get to the 2nd target.

To answer your first question assuming Win 209 primer, 16.5 grs of Red Dot gets you 1145 f/s; 18.o produces 1200 f/s.

Jason

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would recommend that you try 1oz at 1175 fps, for your first shot & 1 1/8th, 1150 fps for your second shot. Hopefully helping to getting your ave. into the mid 90's. 70% ave. won't win you sand,
Maybe so but then none of my averages are in the mid 90's, but not because of the load I'm shooting. I started this target year with 0 targets and less than 50% average. I finally have the gun set up, that took a while, figuring out the gun hold took another while, so maybe the next step will be the loads but I'm happy with the way both targets break when I do my part.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts