Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Francotte (imported by Von Lengerke & Detmold) and Greener Single Barrel Trap guns were introduced in 1895. In 1912 Schoverling, Daly & Gales began to market the Lindner Charles Daly SBT.

The first single barrel labeled a “Trap Gun” by a U.S. maker may have been the J. A. Prechtel which appeared at the Fourth Annual Tournament of the Cleveland Cartridge & Target Co. in 1897. The Crescent Fire Arms New Trap Hammerless Single Gun was listed in the 1898 Sears, Roebuck & Co. catalog.

A W.H. Davenport 8g “Elite Heavy Target” was listed in the 1904 Supplee Hdw. Co., Philadelphia catalog. Davenport also marketed a single barrel “Expert Trap”, “The Trap Gun”, and “Kleen Killer Pigeon Gun” by at least 1908.

Lefever produced a SBT in 1905 followed by The Three Barrel Gun Co. (about 1906), then the The Royal Gun Co. The first ventilated rib appeared on the Baker (1909). Meriden Fire Arms (1912), Ithaca (Flues model in 1914), J. Stevens No. 182 (1915), Hunter Arms (1917), Parker (1917), and Fox (1919) then joined the parade.

The Prechtel SBT

Baker Gun & Forging 1909.

Clair Wadsworth designed the Smith Single Barrel Trap gun, introduced in 1917

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Two American gun companies claim the first single barrel trap gun. D.M. Lefever and the Three Barrel Gun Company, developed 1905.

Sportalluring

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Nov. 8, 1895 Sporting Life

E. D. Fulford is now using a single-barrel gun, and claims that he can do better work with it as inanimate targets than, when using a double-barrel gun. The new gun is a Greener, single-barrel, 12-bore, weighing 7 1/2 pounds, with a 32-inch barrel, and can use from 40 to 60 grains of powder without any variation in pattern. The breech is extra heavy, and the gun throughout made to stand heavy loads.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I recommend that Drew Hause write a book on all these old excellent trap
shooting articles he is providing. Drew's information on trap shooting,
guns and shooters is the most interesting information which has been on
Trapshooters.com for a long time.

Again, Thanks Drew and please provide us with more trap shooting information.

This cold winter is driving most of us NUTS....so we need something to read.

Lew D. Boyko

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
The first annual Sportsmen's Exposition in Madison Square Garden, New
York, 1895.
Von Lengerke & Detmold, New York, importers, dealers and general selling agents of Francotte (showed) a new Francotte single barrel gun for artificial target shooting, having extra heavy breech, flat rib, and was a fine model.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
May 1896 E.D. Fulford using a Francotte SBT

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
The earliest mention of Schoverling, Daly and Gales, New York Charles Daly (Prussian) Single Barrel Trap I can find is in their 1912 catalog

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Lew: if you'll scroll down to the bottom of the link, there should be enough Trap history to keep you busy until the thaw. BTW: went swimming today at 74 degrees :)

Reactions: BMWBOB

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Meriden Fire Arms Co. / Sears introduced the Meriden Single Hammerless Trap Gun in 1912

The Hollenbeck Gun Co. began c.1901, and moved to Moundsville, WV in 1903 until ceasing operations in 1910. The company name changed in 1905 to The Three Barrel Gun Company (c.1905-1909), and then to The Royal Gun Company (c.1909-1910). 181 SBTs were manufactured 1908-1910.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
More on the Three Barrel and Royal Gun Co.
About 1879, Frank Hollenbeck was in charge of the forging department and tool making for W. H. Baker & Co., at Lisle, NY. After about two years he left for Syracuse and took contract work for The Baker Guns, L. C. Smith Maker, where he remained about eight years. He then started the Hollenbeck Lock and Knob Co., manufacturing hardware specialties. The factory was moved to Jordan N.Y. and Hollenbeck withdrew from the business just before the building burned in 1890, going to Batavia N.Y. as superintendent of the Baker Gun and Forging Company, where he remained until 1892.
He then returned to Syracuse and patented the Hollenbeck hammerless gun, and in Feb. 1893, organized the Syracuse Arms Company.
He left Syracuse Arms Co. in 1895, and founded the Hollenbeck Hygienic Bicycle Seat Co.
http://books.google.com/books?id=0GI-AAAAYAAJ&pg=PA101&lpg
http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1897/VOL_28_NO_19/SL2819015.pdf
He then joined A.H. Fox’s former business partners to establish the Baltimore Arms Co. in 1900 but left later that year. Baltimore Arms lasted until October 1904.
The Hollenbeck Gun Co. began in 1901, moved to Moundsville, WV in 1903 and stayed until they went out of business in 1910. The company name changed in 1905 to The Three Barrel Gun Company (1905-1909), and then to The Royal Gun Company (1909-1910).
181 SBTs were manufactured 1908-1910.
See "New Notes on Frank Hollenbeck" by H.J. Swinney in Gun Report September, 1991

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Looks like Stevens joined the parade.

1915 Forest & Stream No. 182 Stevens Single Barrel Trap Gun $15

$16.50

1917 for $20

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
And the Iver Johnson Special Trap (not to be confused with the Super Trap double introduced in 1927) listed in the 1931-1934 catalogs

·
Registered
858 Posts
Thanks Drew, we live in Colorado, fact is we both are natives but bought a park model in AP and love it there. Shoot at Salado and Ben Avery, really friendly guys, love to hear stories. I have way over a 100,000 registered so have been around and met most of the old famous shooters, keep your stories coming.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Hi bd. I'm usually out at Ben Avery Tues. mornings shooting skeet (oh the shame ;) ) with my 95 year old Mormon buddy (don't think his Bishop knows he's hanging out with a Baptist missionary :) ), using a 1906 16g L.C. Smith. Please come by and say 'hi' if you are around.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Will do, I've been shooting wobble trap and it is addictive, like most shooting games. I spent a lot of time in a Hause household in Colorado, my favorite aunt married one of the Hauses, many, many happy memories. Best to you, always!

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
This probably doesn't count :) but Frank Percy & Co. Hardware and Dunham-Fulton Gun Co. in Oshkosh, Wisconsin marketed several different tradename Harrington & Richardson single shots labeled "Trap Gun". Here's one
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/8007904

BTW: bluedevil. Most of my distant kin changed their name to avoid the Hause reputation :rolleyes:
It probably started as 'Hauser' which is a not uncommon Austrian surname.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts