Trapshooters Forum banner

First round of trap.

2117 20
I took my oldest daughter to the range today and we shot 2 rounds. Unfortunately no hits yet but the scorer called 3 that had some dust come off. She fired 3 rounds with the gun on her shoulder and the rest under her arm with me supporting the buttpad to take the recoil. It’s a little.410 and she can hold it herself but still a bit much for her.
looking forward to the future when we can go shooting together regularly.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,060 Posts
You can't start them too young if they show the least bit of interest. What I like to do for the new young shooters is pick up some birds that have been missed and not broken , and just throw them with my hand. I love to see the look on their face after the first break. It sure looks to me you have a future shooter . Congratulations to both of you.

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bet the smile behind the camera matches hers! How old is she? I have a 2.5 y/o little girl, and I can’t wait to get her started.
She is turning 8 tomorrow. I started her shooting a .22 rifle about a year ago. I bought her a little pink rifle the week she was born. I waited 6 years to get to take her out. Ultimately I ended up having her shoot my Remington 40x .22 rifle. The recoil of the little kids rifle was making her uncomfortable.
when I take my other daughter for her first time I will start with the big rifle. Once she is comfortable I’ll let her try the kids gun. However, she is quite adventurous so I suspect it won’t be as big of a deal. Especially since she wants so badly to do everything her big sister does.
I’m already daydreaming about family outings where we can all go break some clays.

6,495 Posts
I took my oldest daughter to the range today and we shot 2 rounds. Unfortunately no hits yet but the scorer called 3 that had some dust come off. She fired 3 rounds with the gun on her shoulder and the rest under her arm with me supporting the buttpad to take the recoil. It’s a little.410 and she can hold it herself but still a bit much for her.
looking forward to the future when we can go shooting together regularly.
View attachment 1747516
Dad... consider taking a Hula Hoop, using it as a standing position set behind a trap locked down to straights only...

Much easier to break initial targets... then once breaking birds, move the hoop back and eventually get to oscillation... small steps... my $0.02...

· Registered
2,974 Posts
Oh yeah start ‘em young. Keep it fun and make sure to go over firearm safety CONSTANTLY. When people bring young‘uns to the range, some need to just get comfortable with the gun. We generally have some unused trap fields. I give them a handful of clays to put on the ground between the bunkers and shoot at static targets, instead of trying to hit moving targets... baby steps, ya know? Decreases the pressure and frustration factors.

· Registered
208 Posts
You are a lucky man. So do not take these days for granted with your girls. Your girls will never forget these times nor will you.

Shooting builds character and confidence in your girls. They learn that they can do anything if they work at it. They also learn that someday no matter how hard you work at it.. things just don't work out...just like life.

Also they learn by being around all different types of folks at gun clubs on how to deal with people. Many times they will see people act in ways that they admire, other times they see how people act and decide they don't want to act like that in their personal life.

Again your a lucky man !!

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dad... consider taking a Hula Hoop, using it as a standing position set behind a trap locked down to straights only...

Much easier to break initial targets... then once breaking birds, move the hoop back and eventually get to oscillation... small steps... my $0.02...
First round we had the thrower locked straight and shot alone. It was busier so we shot with others on the second round. I was hoping to see at least one break so she could see it happen when shooting the gun. At this point I’m just getting her comfortable shooting the gun. Once she can shoulder it I think I can help aim a little better and possibly break some.

· Registered
618 Posts
I also started my daughter with a 410..but off my trius..trap in the woods..think her best was 12 or 13 out of 25 b4 she lost interest..I also got her a single shot bolt 22..still have both..have 2 grand kids no interest in shooting

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.