Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loaded about 200 rounds with STS hull, Fed 209A primer, 16.7 gr of Red, 1 1/8 oz of Eights, and WAA12 wad. Shot at a Sporting course in Northern Tn with the Boomer Gang. All of us on SS, all of us with K80's.

Got good stack height, rounds looked like factory, consistent performance, subdued report, and clean. Residue, or lack of, reminded me of Clays.

I got a case of kegs on closeout from a nearby distributor. I am very happy with this stuff. Seems very versatile, can go from powder puff 7/8 to 1200 fps 1 1/8. It is not Red Dot. Takes a little less, density is different, and is a lot cleaner. It does look like Red Dot.

Got to get suitable 1 oz wads and go from there, as the 1 oz load will work for 90+% of Sporting targets. Still like 1 1/8 oz 1200 fps for Trap.

Have seen conflicting info on the net. Read it was discontinued, but is still on Hodgdon site.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Loaded about 200 rounds with STS hull, Fed 209A primer, 16.7 gr of Red, 1 1/8 oz of Eights, and WAA12 wad. Shot at a Sporting course in Northern Tn with the Boomer Gang. All of us on SS, all of us with K80's.

Got good stack height, rounds looked like factory, consistent performance, subdued report, and clean. Residue, or lack of, reminded me of Clays.

I got a case of kegs on closeout from a nearby distributor. I am very happy with this stuff. Seems very versatile, can go from powder puff 7/8 to 1200 fps 1 1/8. It is not Red Dot. Takes a little less, density is different, and is a lot cleaner. It does look like Red Dot.

Got to get suitable 1 oz wads and go from there, as the 1 oz load will work for 90+% of Sporting targets. Still like 1 1/8 oz 1200 fps for Trap.

Have seen conflicting info on the net. Read it was discontinued, but is still on Hodgdon site.
Loaded up a lb. of red with various book loads and could not see or feel much difference between it and red dot. maybe cleaner. see no need to switch at this time.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have been shooting IMR red this winter, and have been pleased with the results it works great for sporting clays as well as trap. But in cold weather I think it is a little bit dirtier than clays.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts