Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my first attempt at reloading shotshells (12 gauge) I decided to use as much of the components on hand instead of buying all new stuff and choosing from the dizzying array of options. Here is a list of the components I have on hand. The items in red are the ones I plan to use for my first reloads.

Remington STS Premier
Winchester AA Super Sport
Winchester AA Light

Chilled #8 shot

Red Dot
WST
700X
Green Dot

Remington RXP12
Claybuster CB 0118-12 (WT12)
Claybuster CB 1100-12 (WAA12SL)

Based on Lyman's Reloading Handbook I need to buy WAA12L or equivalent wads for 7/8 oz. loads. Any suggestions or alternatives would be appreciated. All of this is strictly for trap shooting.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Red Dot is a pretty bulky powder, so the CB1100-12 wads you have should work fine. The shot cup is the same on the WAA12SL and the WAA12L. The WAA12L is a tad taller to make up for less powder volume. If you were to use that 700X you have, you would need the WAA12L, which is what i use for my normal 16yd load.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
You also need to pick a primer, and a powder weight. Use a scale to double check your powder charge. Don't just rely on a bushing chart. I would look for a recipe with a little speed, about 1250 fps. You should be around 18 grains of Red Dot. You will like the performance with the light 7/8 oz shot charge.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I can use the 700x. That would seem to push it a little faster. I already have some of all of the primers listed in the Lyman's book. Charges for 700X using WAA12L wads show 18.0 and 18.5 grns depending on the primer. Is that a good place to start? I haven't decided which reloading machine to use yet Hollywood, Texan or CH but I'll definitely double check my powder charge.

Maybe dumb question - Does a different shot size ever come into play with reloading recipes? I realize the weights are the same but volume could change depending on shot size.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
The difference in shot weight, based on shot size, is minor when using a bushing, based on volume.

·
Registered
164 Posts
18.5 gr of 700X should put you in the 1325 fps range, which is pretty hot. If that is what you are looking for, fine, but you probably want to work up to that. I load 15.5 gr of 700X, with a WAA12L wad, Win primer, in a Gun Club hull. Gives me about 1200 fps. Light recoil and smashes targets.

Shot size doesn't matter when it comes to recipe, it's the weight that counts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
18.5 gr of 700X should put you in the 1325 fps range, which is pretty hot. If that is what you are looking for, fine, but you probably want to work up to that. I load 15.5 gr of 700X, with a WAA12L wad, Win primer, in a Gun Club hull. Gives me about 1200 fps. Light recoil and smashes targets...
This is throwing a major curve at me. After reading Lyman's Shotshell Reloading Handbook and advice from others I understand it's best to stick with published loads, especially for beginners. I like the idea of lighter recoil though. Is there any downside to using a charge less than those published?

·
L'Étoile du Nord
497 Posts
If you miss a target, are you going to ask yourself if a 1-1/8 load would have broke it? I bet you will.

Why voluntarily handicap yourself by throwing less shot. The obvious answer is to save money. But when you look at the totality of the costs of this sport, scrimping on shot is a bad choice.

·
Registered
164 Posts
On the Hodgdon website, you need to look under the 24 gr. shot weight, they don't list anything for 7/8 oz. 24 gr. is just a hair under 7/8 oz.

Reactions: Oregunner

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes, you should stick with published data, especially when starting out, and you should reference at least a couple sources before picking a load. There could always be a typo somewhere.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, you should stick with published data, especially when starting out, and you should reference at least a couple sources before picking a load. There could always be a typo somewhere.
Sounds like excellent advice. Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts