Trapshooters Forum banner

First P/W Reloader - need hints/advice

4130 46
I picked up a BNIB P/W 800 Plus 20ga reloader at Auction, with some extras.
I’m new to P/W and need hints, tips, advice before I start assembly.... thanks in advance

Wood Interior design Floor Flooring Hardwood
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
2,575 Posts
Congratulations 🎊🎉🎈🍾. I am still using mine with all the factory parts. So far no problem. But there’s aftermarket parts that say works well.
primer punch and feeding I used a file to take the sharp edge off so primer will not hang up.
After a while you might want to use the metal powder and shot plate with the clear tubes to see the shot and powder levels. Someday I will have the electric drive. I also have the powder adapter that uses Mec bushings. I have lots of Mec bushings

· Registered
2,532 Posts
Yes, congrats! I have an 800+ 12ga. Upgraded from MEC 9000 and there WAS a learning curve. If you are using steel based hulls, I would get a MEC supersizer and run the hulls through it. It makes the machine go so much smoother. I added a hull feeder and electric motor. There was some tweaking that I did and the machine finally is an ammo making machine. Good luck and enjoy.

· Registered
254 Posts
The PW 800 + does resize the hull base. Some believe, with steel bases, it works better if they are resized first. Many others have never had an issue with just resizing with the PW. I had a PW 900 for some time and never had an issue. I have a PW 800 + on order and am planning on running Gun Clubs through it without any resizing outside of the PW.

· Registered
697 Posts
Do not short stroke the handle on upward return. Make sure you hear the click at the end of the stroke! If you don't the turret may not rotate and you will be double charging everything, powder and shot. Always watch, or scan as you go. Develop a rhythm then you will know if something is out of place. Make sure you clean (with air) around the primer seating ram (piston). Powder gets under there and will cause the primer to sit higher and this could cause you to bend your primer feeder by the primer catching on it. (the ram that transports the primer to the seater)
Just little things to look out for. Have fun, it is a learn curve. Congratulations.

· Registered
2,877 Posts
I loaded thousands of Gun Clubs on my 800 B.
No problem with them.
I have reloaded some that were sized in a MEC, they kept slipping down causing a hang upon rotation of the shell holders.
Yes it was easier to pull the handle, right up until the dislodged shell caught.
The PW 800 + does resize the hull base. Some believe, with steel bases, it works better if they are resized first. Many others have never had an issue with just resizing with the PW. I had a PW 900 for some time and never had an issue. I have a PW 800 + on order and am planning on running Gun Clubs through it without any resizing outside of the PW.

· Registered
2,532 Posts
Doesn’t the 800+ have a resize station ?
What Buzzj said. When the final stage of push out of finished shell before I started to use the Supersizer, the machine would shake and spill some shot from the shells before crimp. Makes a mess and if 1......just 1 piece of shot gets down in the first shell holder it tilts the shell enough to screw up the shell going into the die.......then you have a mess.

· Registered
436 Posts
I went from a Grabber to a PW 800 years ago. I initially thought it was the greatest thing known to man until I attempted to load Windjammer wads in a AA case. At least once every 25 shells when you started bringing the handle back up it would lift the seated wad up at the same time and shot would spill all over. You then had to stop, shut the powder and shot off, cycle the shells out, clean up the mess and start over only to have it happen again, sometimes within 10 pulls of the handle. It only did this with Windjammers. If I loaded a AA wad it worked great but at the time I was using Windjammers almost exclusively so I sold the PW and bought a 9000. I'm not sure if the wad issue was mine alone but it might be something to think about if you load Windjammers.

· Registered
21 Posts
The 800+ is my 3rd brand after mec grabber and a 366. It is my favorite of the three but it was by far the toughest learning curve. It was supposed to come from the factory and run Remington hulls but I had a dumpster fire going the first 4 times. I probably had 15 hours before i made 5 good shells. I am sure it was me not the machine. I ended up taking 4 or 5 month break from it and shooting factory shells and starting fresh. It went much better. Rhythm is the key with this machine.

I shoot an o/u and have no problems. My son shoots an A400 and we had cycling issues. I am resizing with the Mec and that seems to have fixed it.

I have been tempted to order the shovel handle. I felt like I spent enough if the shovel handle was better why didn’t it come with it.

I consider myself to be middle of the road in the “mechanically inclined” spectrum.

Be patient and focus on a consistent rhythm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.