Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

· Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before I left the USA I did some investigating. Sent a few emails out to the organization that administers clay target shooting in Brazil, and found out where the nearest club is to where I am staying. They put me in contact with Octacilio Padrao Jr., whom I have just learned goes by Tata, and we traded emails back in August.

Yesterday, I contacted him and asked if he would be available to meet me at his club in the city of Campos dos Goytacazes (or just Campos.)

Unfortunately, it's a 2+ hour drive from where I am staying in Macaé.

Parts of the drive there are like interstate, but mostly...not.

Anyway, Tata welcomed me like I was the returning prodigal son. Let me use his K-80 to shoot a few rounds, which didn't fit, and I shot like crap, but I didn't care.

I even got some swag from him!

Atirar é legal means "Shooting is cool!"

There is only one cartridge manufacturer here, and he said a box of shells is about US$14.00 A round of trap was only $5, though, so not overall horrible.

We chatted about things like the Grand, which he's been to 20+ times. Way more than I have.

And our mutual hope that it'll happen at Sparta this summer.

The club is small. Only 2 traps. It also has a small handgun/rifle range.

The club wasn't very busy today. Only me, one other gentleman, and Tata were there to shoot trap. It was great! I'll definitely be going back!

Though with the price of gasoline down here (about US$3.70 a gallon)...probably not every weekend.

Here's the link to the club: Clube de Tiro CCTE - Campos dos Goytacazes

And a few photos:

fyi, 32 grams is 1-1/8 ounce and 368 m/s is 1200 fps.

· Premium Member
21,555 Posts
I'll bet it gets loud under that cover. Earplugs for sure. Looks like they get some rain also!

· Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll bet it gets loud under that cover. Earplugs for sure. Looks like they get some rain also!
Yeah, the shot fall area is a swamp, and there's a pretty big lake to the west of the club.

It's middle of summer here, and this area does get a lot of rain.

Reactions: yukon_870

· Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not any louder than usual, but you do get an odd echo.

· Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are guns available that you could buy, rent or borrow that you could setup the way you wanted? Maybe the company can buy one as a perk.
Interesting question Frosty. We chatted for a while about this. Back in August he told me not to waste my time investigating trying to get my gun down there. It's practically impossible.

But he said it "might" be possible, once I have been here 6 months and complete the process of getting a Brazilian ID, that I might be able to apply for a firearms owner's permit. If I get one of those, he said I would be able to buy a gun and ammunition.

There's not much available down here. Boito is the primary brand manufactured down here.

This is their trap gun:

He said he'd do some investigation with some people he knows.

I'm not counting it out.

· Registered
728 Posts
Glad you will get to shoot! Looks like a great club from your photos and those on their website. Thought it was cool that they called it “Trap Americano.”

Saw the guy in a mask. Is COVID an issue there? Please be safe!

· Registered
2,636 Posts
Please don't laugh, But when my wife first started out shotgun shooting, we bought her a pair of Boitos, one 12 ga for trap and one 20 ga for skeet.

Trust me when I say this, she shot the heck out of both of them before going to a more common brand around here. (Browning)

The fellow who bought both of her guns many years ago still shoots Sporting with both of them, loves them, and has had NO problems at all.

They may have been cheap guns in the eyes of most people, but ours have served people very well over the years.

· Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not totally sure, but I thought there was some relationship between Boito and ER Armantino (also Brazilian) and I think it is ER Armantino who makes the Stoeger guns for sale in the USA.

· Registered
1,562 Posts
The guys from Brazil always seem to have a good time,they love the sport.Good guys too..

Reactions: vatrap and timb99

· Registered
1,830 Posts
Hi Tim,

Inquiring minds and all that, I understand when the water goes down the drain in the Southern Hemisphere it spins the opposite of what we are used to seeing here in the Northern Hemisphere. Just wondering if the same is true for the targets being thrown, do they spin the opposite direction? ;)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.