Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, and I figured what better place then to come to the experts. I'm looking to excel at shooting trap, and would like to step up my game to an O/U 12 gauge. I need advise on which way to go, since the internet really doesn't push me in the right direction. I don't want to go cheap and do not want to break the bank. What is a good used middle of the road gun that I'll get performance from? I probably won't be able to shoot the gun, so any advise would be great before I make a purchase. If it helps, I've been shooting Remington shotguns since I can remember. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
A Remington 3200, there are usually some for sale on this site. My advise on any gun
is to shoot it before you buy it. That is the best way to find out if it is user friendly. HMB

·
Registered
554 Posts
Maybe look into a used browning citori grade 1 trap, with fixed full & imp. Mod chokes! I shoot a Remington 1100 competition now & have had luck with it, I've always wanted a citori grade but lack of funds ATM have left me without one!
-cheers

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Try a bunch of different O/Us. Usually if a Beretta doesn't feel right, try a Browning. Make sure whatever used gun you purchase, that it is good condition, as repairs to a worn O/U can add up quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
I've owned and shot a Rem. 3200, Beretta Trap, and Browning Citori OU's. The Browning works best for me due to less recoil, reliability, fit, and scoring. There are many good choices out there but most important is to ensure the gun fits you properly. Ralph

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
what is your price range and that gives responders more info for suggestions. some people think 2000 is too high and some thing 6000 is on the low side motordoc

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've always been happy with Browning products. Seem to get a lot of gun for the money with them. Citori O/U is a great choice for many.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, and I figured what better place then to come to the experts. I'm looking to excel at shooting trap, and would like to step up my game to an O/U 12 gauge. I need advise on which way to go, since the internet really doesn't push me in the right direction. I don't want to go cheap and do not want to break the bank. What is a good used middle of the road gun that I'll get performance from? I probably won't be able to shoot the gun, so any advise would be great before I make a purchase. If it helps, I've been shooting Remington shotguns since I can remember. Thanks for the help.
What do you call "middle of the road?"
Pricewise, with Rem 3200 at the bottom and Krieghof and Perazzi at the top, the Guerini guns are in the middle.

Reactions: Claybird2

·
Registered
642 Posts
I bought a Browning Crossover this spring, I feel it's allot of bang for a buck. But it doesn't matter what you buy if the gun doesn't fit you right. I don't know your experience level, But maybe this will help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. I've been trap shooting for a little over two years and am pretty decent. My ultimate amount I would like to spend is under $1500.00. Just bought a house and well, I'm sure we all know how that goes. And it seems like Browning Citori has a great following. I'll head out to the store today and do some fittings. Thanks for the video beasty1!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Browning Citori's of any vintage are fine as long as they're in good shape.
I've shot some of my best scores with a Citori trap that was made in the early 80s.
The gun has fixed IM and F chokes and I paid about $1,000 for it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies. I've been trap shooting for a little over two years and am pretty decent. My ultimate amount I would like to spend is under $1500.00. Just bought a house and well, I'm sure we all know how that goes. And it seems like Browning Citori has a great following. I'll head out to the store today and do some fittings. Thanks for the video beasty1!
Try a bunch of guns and get whatever fits you best. If you have find a gun that fits but's a little out of your budget, save the extra money and save yourself from frustration.

Also, the Crossover Target from Browning is only $1600 iirc

·
Registered
624 Posts
I very recently bought a Browning that I believe is very similar to the Crossover. The Citori Special Sporting Clays from Guns Unlimited Omaha has a Gracoil adjustable comb that they have done by a outside source. The adjustable comb is why I went with it. $1,970.00 + 40.00 shipping total. (without adjustable comb -$200) They had a good quantity in stock. I used to shoot a 1100 Trap that felt long at 30 inches... I bought a 30 inch but should have went with the 32 inch because the 30" feels very short in comparison the the 1100.
BTW.. mine shoots nice and high.
http://gunsunlimitedomaha.com/catalog/item/BRN-SPECIAL SPORTING 12_30 ADJ.aspx
and this is what I'm learning about now
http://www.mn-trap.org/tech_corner/n_winston/Point_of_Impact_and_Pattern_Testing_at_13_Yards.pdf

·
Registered
70 Posts
I believe you should go with Beretta. They have a lot of models in different price ranges. If it's in your price range get a 692. I got to try it from my club and it is awesome. I like the heavier feel and it swings better. The Brownings are reliable but are heavy all over and doesn't feel balanced to me.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I believe you should go with Beretta. They have a lot of models in different price ranges. If it's in your price range get a 692. I got to try it from my club and it is awesome. I like the heavier feel and it swings better. The Brownings are reliable but are heavy all over and doesn't feel balanced to me.
If you can find a 692 for anywhere near $1500, buy one. In fact, let me know and I'll buy all of them.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've owned and shot a Rem. 3200, Beretta Trap, and Browning Citori OU's. The Browning works best for me due to less recoil, reliability, fit, and scoring. There are many good choices out there but most important is to ensure the gun fits you properly. Ralph
As a new guy to shotguns - I'll second Ralph's recommendation. The 725 fit me pretty well right out of the box.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts