Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another poster reminded me of something I recalled when I read his message on that thread.

I first met Brad Dysinger at the Tri-State Handicap championship shoot in 75/76 at a club near Stubenville, Ohio. Brad was a young 19 years of age and was shooting handicaps pretty well for no longer than he'd been at the game.

Brad came up to our little group, introduced himself to all of us and we talked trap for quite some time. Two of my brothers, two nephews and a good friend were all gathered around when Brad joined us. Of course we talked handicap shooting since this was a big handicap event in the east. I don't recall any of us setting any records but Brad shot well.

Before he left our group, he told me he thought he'd try following the trap circuit to see if he could make a living shooting trap! I told Brad he'd have to average at least a 93 on caps in order to do that and he stated he was gonna give it his best shot just to see! I told him, "go for it!!" And, he did.

If a young shooter approached any of us today with such goals, I'd have to advise him to keep his full time job and shoot trap for the fun and camaraderie of the game. That is, if he must shoot those high handicap scores in order to continue shooting! He was lucky he chose doing that at the time he did, the rest of the story is history. Thought I'd share that part of my memories of our sport with all of you.

HAP

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
How can you make a living shooting trap when it's the AMATEUR Trap Association?

·
Banned
308 Posts
Tri-state shoot had some of the biggest calcuttas I ever saw.

A 93 might have paid good at the Calcutta. Now a 90 wouldn't get you a pat on the back nor should it.

That was always a huge weekend. The mardigras of trapshooting. lol

Those weren't 2 hole targets.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hap I remember my first Tri-state shoot in the mid 80's. I recall the Calcutta in the five digit range at that time! Some good memories. Jerry

·
Banned
308 Posts
As I think about the old Tri-State I remember that we weren't an organization of Motorhomers. Those there were focused on shooting their cheap guns at fast targets for big monies.

We have allowed our sport to focus on the motorhomers instead of the weekend warriors that built our sport. Now the focus is on who has the biggest rig, the most expensive gun and can earn the most trinkets shooting at soft targets.

We have kicked the weekend warrior to the curb. I think Brad Dysinger has brought many of the midwest's weekend warriors back.

·
Well known trouble maker
2,867 Posts
What a nice thread.

Maybe we can keep it going by everyone telling about the first time they met Brad.

The first time I met Brad was at the Buckeye two years ago. It was not what you would call a friendly meeting. It was not hostile, we were both cordial with neither raising their voice. But we had a disagreement about my score in the handicap the previous day. We went back and forth stating our respective take on what had transpired. I don’t think that either of us was really happy with the compromise solution that was worked out. Brad was the tournament director and had to make the call.

Throughout my “discussion” with Brad I was impressed with the way he handled himself. And when it was all over, I found that I really liked the guy. He was genuine and sincere. He had no agenda and certainly was ego free.

When my “disputed” check from the Cardinal Center arrived in the mail some six weeks later I didn't cash it. I just kept it. I took it with me to the Cardinal Classic later that summer. I found Brad running around on his cart doing his tournament director duties and I flagged him down. I said “Do you remember me?” He replied “Unfortunately, I remember you very well.” and started laughing.

I produced the check and asked him if he would autograph it for me. He seemed surprised that I had not cashed it. I told him that I just didn't feel right the way things had turned out and would value the autograph of an All American more then the money. He took the check and I handed him a pen.

He wrote the following on the check:

Dr. Bombay,

I enjoyed our discussion.
You should have cashed the check!

Brad Dysinger

I have that check framed now. It sits on top of my desk in my office. When any of my trap shooting friends visit with me and ask about the check I just tell them “The guy owed me money!” and we laugh.

You may not all agree with his views on our sport. But if you take the time to meet and talk with him you will certainly come to these conclusions.

He is a man of integrity. And he is a very nice guy.

Doc

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
yakimaman,

A buddy, Chris Gilman, was top dog on the PWT (Professional Walleye Trail Circuit) at one time and was being interviewed for one of their television shows when the interviewer asked him, "How difficult is it being a top pro fisherman"?

Gil replied, "Tough enough that I have to work a day job too".

Regards,

Chip

·
Registered
616 Posts
I remember the Tri-State Shoot well. George Levkovitz with including Anthony Olivito, Rudy Morelli, Joe Bethel, Gerald Burkhart and Bill Pilati, and the club members really put lots of time and money to make the shoot a success. The calcuttas were huge back then; I used to love as a kid watching the bidding on the shooters. I worked as the announcer for the squads with Scott and Darren Carr Geroge’s grandsons. It was always fun to watch Brad and Bobby Miezkowski shoot.
That was a great shoot every year.

Gary

·
Registered
823 Posts
Good post Hap; for those that don't know it, that place at that time was the epicenter of the trapshooting universe.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I can't pinpoint the first time I met Brad, but it feels like he has always been a part of my life. I grew up with a shooting Dad (this was when Brad was a teenager and already shooting very well) and I eventually married Leo, who was a shooter and one of Brad's best friends to travel/shoot with in the 1970's and 80's and 90's. Maybe Brad remembers our first introduction?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You have to meet and talk with Brad to really appreciate who he really is. The keyboard hero's here bad mouthing him don't know what they are talking about. Brad is all for trapshooting and trapshooters. Not the association he feels is letting us all down. I've spent many a fun day with Brad. Jimmy Borum

·
Banned
1,205 Posts
My first meeting with Brad has not occurred yet.

I think Niagra hit on a point though.

Niagra: "A 90 won't get you a pat on the back now nor should it."

I think that statement is very true and has been for a while with the target settings and shells of today and well for a long time now.

Last weekend after 6 years of not shooting any singles and only 150 HDCP (49/50 and 92/100) targets I went to a ATA event. Shot a 100/100, am I really that good or lucky. I wish the target presentation was such to know the difference.

Shoot well.

John

·
Registered
348 Posts
I met Brad back in the early or mid 1990s at the Thurmont Conservation Club when he lived in Maryland. He probably won't remember because he was too busy showing off smokeballing targets and winning trophies.

We really had the chance to meet when I visited the Cardinal Center and was provided with a place to set up some historical memorabilia.

The most important thing you should know is that he gives it to you straight-up, no BS and no fibs. I like that.

Though he's a little rough sometimes, there is no doubt that he loves the sport of trapshooting. Most people will never know all he has done to promote the game.

There's been some talk the past few years about organizing a Professional Tour of Trapshooters who would visit and shoot at gun clubs across the country.

I came across some old ATA minutes sometime ago and there was Dysinger's name in the minutes. He was granted a meeting with the Executive Committee and proposed the idea of touring professionals.

He has a special plan on the books for the young shooters and it involves small targets. I suspect sometime in the future he'll implement it.

It would be good for all of us to listen with an open mind to his ideas and his grievances regarding registered shooting. Disagree if you wish. But never doubt his integrity nor his love for the game. I don't.

Kenny Ray Estes
Pittsgrove, New Jersey

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I can't remember if it was Ohio State or the Grand,Brad and I would sit in a buddys camper and we never talked about trapshooting, it was always about hunting.

When I first met Brad in the early 80's he was a Beretta rep., and when he finished shooting he wanted to talk hunting, but he always had to be at the Beretta building to promote guns....

·
Registered
683 Posts
I am originally from NW Ohio, so I knew Brad when he was a young guy. There were good shooters in about every town back then. I miss those times. Shooting was fun and affordable.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I met Brad & Leo at Jaqua'e in the late 70's early 80's. They were just kids in an old pickup truck trying to shoot for a living. Jaqua's had some pretty big calcuttas in those days with numerous all Americans like Frank Little.Dave Berlet, Louie Morgan just to name a few. I had some money with me and bought Leo. I thought he was a sure thing. I paid $250,00 or $300.00 for Leo and he broke an 89. I had a 91. I talked to him at Cardinal the year before he passed. I forgot to ask him if he shot the low score on purpose. I think he just had a bad day. Those kids were tough shooters. With Brad's talent,he should still shoot. He broke back fence scores 98 at Jaqua's and a 99 at Cardinal in recent years. He had one of the largest payoffs ever at the Grand preliminary with a lone 99 on a less than Ideal day. These guys were natural born shooters. They were good from day 1.

My sentiments are close to his.
Clyde

·
Registered
578 Posts
Karla the first time I met you was at Mexico, Mo you were doing the score board for Graffs'. I think the fall shoot, probably about 1980, not sure it could be a year or two either way. If I remember right granddad or your dad introduced you and me to each other. I remember you were pretty much just a kid, of course back then I was too.

Hap the Tri State shoot was a great shoot, although I can't specifically remember talking to you I can say that many shooters encouraged me to try the circuit back then. I'm glad I listened to them to give it a try. If I hadn't traveled around to all the big shoots I'd never met any of the people that have said such nice things here.

As you know one of the things that riles me the most is that the opportunity I had is no longer there. No way would a 60 year old Brad Dysinger tell a 20 old Brad Dysinger today to try the circuit, it don't exist.

Kenny Ray knows more old old time trap shooting history than anyone I know, Trap Shooting was always about the money, until about 2000, I wish I would be able to help get the ATA back to there roots but I really don't think it will happen.

The registered sport is now like skeet, to travel and to get on the All American team is way to costly for the average person. When I was on the circuit my goal was to win enough to pay for my entries first and make some money second.

Hap, Jimmy, you both know that a 50 straight in a caps at the right event could pay for your shooting for 2 or 3 weeks. In Las Vegas or Reno even a 25 could do it. As a 27 yarder back then we didn't dominate the handicaps, my goal was to place. Second and thirds payed much better than loaners today.

The last few years as TD I've really enjoyed. I get to meet just about everyone at the shoot. Maybe the thing I do better than shoot is talk, and I get to talk to everyone.

Most of what I know about Trap Shooting I have gotten one way or the other from talking to and listening to trap shooters themselves. Whether from old time shooters like Hap who encouraged me to try the circuit or a new shooter at the Cardinal wanting to know something. I've been very lucky, it's just frustrating to watch something I've enjoyed all my life go to hell.

One year in the 90's Daro Handy and I were shooting off for something at the Grand, we were in front of the HOF, the trap right in front of the Grandstand, Daro looked over at me and said, "you know Brad, you and I are the last of the Buffalo Hunter's."

"Say it ain't so Daro, Say it ain't so." Brad

1 - 20 of 56 Posts