Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend will be my first ever competition which is a local ATA shoot. When did you know you were ready for your first ever competition after starting trapshooting? I admit my scores suck but I just think that the only way I know how I "stack up" against others is to be in the competition. Should I wait until my scores improve or go ahead?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Definitely go and have fun! I shot my first one last month and have another coming up in a couple of weeks. I did shoot a bit more consistently in competition vs just an open shooting night.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Agree with all of the above. GO and have fun. Ask questions, make new friends, and be safe and enjoy yourself. Squad for a squad that is 3rd or forth out so you can observe others, don't take position 1 until you are comfortable with squad etiquette, and don't be late when your squad is up. You will do fine. Let us know how you did and when your next shoot will be!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree with grizquad on squading and would like to add that showing up ahead of your time to shoot. Be ready don't rush yourself and I myself benefit from watching the previous squad shoot. It mentally prepares me for shooting.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Go for it, and make sure to play all the options. Its just expensive practice. I think the competion always make me do better, except in doubles the is nearly no hope for me. Go enjoy yourselves and have fun!

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
BTW, where do you plan to shoot this weekend. I would bet there is someone on here that can help you out at the club and give you a little guidance. Also being a new shooter ask the club if they got any free ATA memberships the can give away, they should being its the start of the target year.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW, where do you plan to shoot this weekend. I would bet there is someone on here that can help you out at the club and give you a little guidance. Also being a new shooter ask the club if they got any free ATA memberships the can give away, they should being its the start of the target year.
Shooting at the Cedar Falls Gun Club.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Go for it, and make sure to play all the options. Its just expensive practice. I think the competion always make me do better, except in doubles the is nearly no hope for me. Go enjoy yourselves and have fun!
I was going to ask if it was worth it to pay the extra few bucks for the options?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The time I thought I was ready for competition was the time I knew I wanted to compete. To be good at competing you have to practice competing. To me that's the best way to practice the added stress, thoughts, and how to handle pressure.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just have fun. 40 years ago I was so excited for my first registered shoot I was the first shooter there. I signed up on first handicap squad and broke a 87 from the 20. Half the people there shot a 86, yep I won a 1/2 yard.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Go have fun, be ready to shoot when its your turn and between boxes get your stuff a drink of water and be ready to go back up, and shoot one target at a time dont worry about the end result, If I were you forget about the options until you understand how they work
Have fun

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Just remember it's all for fun! Sometimes it's good to step outside our comfort zone. For me l enjoy the competitive edge.
Just look for the forward edge of the bird. When you see it shoot it.
Have fun!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just remember it's all for fun! Sometimes it's good to step outside our comfort zone. For me l enjoy the competitive edge.
Just look for the forward edge of the bird. When you see it shoot it.
Have fun!!
Just go shoot. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
16 Posts
This weekend will be my first ever competition which is a local ATA shoot. When did you know you were ready for your first ever competition after starting trapshooting? I admit my scores suck but I just think that the only way I know how I "stack up" against others is to be in the competition. Should I wait until my scores improve or go ahead?
go you have nothing to lose

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
You have every thing to loose if you play the options.

Do start shooting competitions as soon as you can to establish your average and get the minimum targets to avoid penalties when you do the larger shoots.

I would not play any options yet since you state that your scores are not that good. That said do check out the scores that the Lewis Class paid. If your score is above the lowest score that paid, it may be worth your while to play that. Often times the lowest scores paid is more that what the best scores paid. It is a gamble because it is how the scores stack up. The highest score of those that play will win a part of the pot.

Also watch your class and yardage scores. When you start to become competitive then start playing those.

Jason

1 - 20 of 50 Posts