Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking about 4 months to post my first 25 and another 2 or 3 to shoot my second 25, recently I've been shooting a 25 approx. once a week. Yet the 50 has continued to elude me, until today - sort of.

So, last week, the last round I shot was a 25, and today my first round was a 25 - so I did go 50 for 50. Of course, I know some don't count 25 straight unless it's registered targets, so I have little doubt a lot of posters will be of the opinion that you certainly can't combine two 25's shot at my local club on different days. You're probably right. But recently I've only been shooting one day a week and at this rate it may take me a couple of years to get a true 50. So I'm going to celebrate this small victory.

And no, I'm not going to send away for a "50 Straight" patch - I don't think that's really legit.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I’d say so. It would be called more of a “run” than a strait but there isn’t any rules that say what a strait has to be weather it’s in one day or over 2 days. JMHO

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
My club only gave patches out for registered shoot. For 50 and 100 it needed to be in the same event. Also they only gave a patch for the 1st one.

Never bought those patches. I did ask for the ATA 25 patch when they first came out and I ran 25 straight.

Jason

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds to me like your enjoying shooting. In my book thats worth something and I would celebrate that good shooting!

·
Keystone Shooter
2,189 Posts
Sounds to me like your enjoying shooting. In my book thats worth something and I would celebrate that good shooting!
I would say so also. Congratulations. At my club I only give out patches, and a nice certificate, for any person’s FIRST, 25-50-75-100 straight, shot consecutive, on the same day, with NO other rounds between.
In my opinion, this nonsense about it not counting unless it’s a registered shoot is ridiculous. If you shoot 50 75 100 straight back to back on the same day, for the first time, I don’t care if it’s at your local club practice shooting, or at some local league shoot. If there are witnesses, and there is a score sheet, then you deserve the patch and recognition.
Even my small one trap club, always has a scorer. I insist on it. People say, we’ll it’s not necessary if all your shooting is practice. My belief is if your paying me to shoot a round, then you should be concentrating on shooting, not keeping track of your score.
I’ve even started a 25-50-75-100 straight club. If you shoot any of those for the first time, your name, the day of the week, and the date you shot it are recorded on a big poster board in the trap club house. And we keep the score sheets in a big three ring binder for a year. Guys like seeing their name up on the board with the others who’ve achieved that goal.

·
Banned
794 Posts
Heck yeah that’s 50 straight. You didn’t miss one in two traps. I shot 124 “straight” one time at a registered state shoot but never got the “official” credit for the 100 because is was targets 51 through 174. No carry over between traps lol.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
From my "mental coach"...

I see it from a mental aspect.
Let's say you've just ran 75 straight, dropped two on your last box and finished with a 98.
BUT! You ran your practice box, I would consider that a "mental" 100 straight.
All you need to know is you ran 100 targets. Period. Mentally it's no different. Emotionally it might be night and day but mentally, and that's where it counts, you are fully capable of a 100 straight because you've already done it.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
At my small club during practice, I shot a 50 straight and was given a patch which I accepted. I figure that was quite an accomplishment for me. Now the next day I went 25 straight before dropping a target. The club manager said I deserved a 75 patch. I said well, it was a run, but not a true straight since it was not on the same day. He insisted that it was a straight and I should have a patch. A friendly discussion ensued, and all of the other shooters, a small handful, agreed that since I was consecutive, I ought to get a patch. So I accepted it, but never have felt quite right about it. No big deal to me and I don’t brag about it either. I just shoot to have fun and try to win once in awhile. I never have had an ego about my participation in any sport. I just enjoy the game.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do agree that straights should count if they are not registered targets. One of the club's I shoot at did give me a patch when I shot my first 25 straight. The club does have some pretty serious shooters and rounds always have a scorer. As a new shooter it's just a nice way to recognize a trap shooting milestone.

Plus, this was the club where I first started shooting, so most of the guys remembered when I showed up the first day without a clue. Carried my box of shells from station to station and put it on the ground next to me when I shot. Ejected my empties onto the ground because I didn't have anywhere to put them. Quickly figured out I needed a shell pouch, since even the guys who shot pump shotguns always managed to pocket their spent shells.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I would say so also. Congratulations. At my club I only give out patches, and a nice certificate, for any person’s FIRST, 25-50-75-100 straight, shot consecutive, on the same day, with NO other rounds between.
In my opinion, this nonsense about it not counting unless it’s a registered shoot is ridiculous. If you shoot 50 75 100 straight back to back on the same day, for the first time, I don’t care if it’s at your local club practice shooting, or at some local league shoot. If there are witnesses, and there is a score sheet, then you deserve the patch and recognition.
Even my small one trap club, always has a scorer. I insist on it. People say, we’ll it’s not necessary if all your shooting is practice. My belief is if your paying me to shoot a round, then you should be concentrating on shooting, not keeping track of your score.
I’ve even started a 25-50-75-100 straight club. If you shoot any of those for the first time, your name, the day of the week, and the date you shot it are recorded on a big poster board in the trap club house. And we keep the score sheets in a big three ring binder for a year. Guys like seeing their name up on the board with the others who’ve achieved that goal.
Kudos to you Chief. Those are the things that keep shooters coming back. Good job!
Denny K.

·
Registered
851 Posts
A guy that has since passed away would shoot practice and games at our club and at other local clubs. He never shot registered. But he did shoot in 10 consecutive 10-bird meat shoots and never missed. It's not like he posed in front of the clubhouse with a 100-straight patch from whatever his preferred brand of shells was, but he was still proud of accomplishing it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
A guy that has since passed away would shoot practice and games at our club and at other local clubs. He never shot registered. But he did shoot in 10 consecutive 10-bird meat shoots and never missed. It's not like he posed in front of the clubhouse with a 100-straight patch from whatever his preferred brand of shells was, but he was still proud of accomplishing it.
^This exactly. Be proud of it and use the confidence you got from it to go get your “formal” 50/75/100 straights. You know you can do it now so never let any doubt slip into your head.
Denny K.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Farmer, but it may be a long journey. Had been on a really good streak where I was generally shooting at least one 25 a week. Then I had a bunch of outings where the wind was really blowing. One week it was a headwind and the birds were shooting up 8-10' (or at least it seemed like it). The next week we'd get a tailwind and the birds would drop a couple of feet - usually just when I pulled the trigger. The last time I shot I think I managed to miss 5 consecutive birds and 7 of 10. Worst round I've shot in over a year. But I am getting experience dealing with windy conditions.:)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
If I am getting caught shooting over birds being pushed down by a tail wind, I slow down and shoot them after they peak.

Ideally if you can speed up and shoot them before they get effected by the wind would be better. For me that is outside of my comfort zone.

Jason

1 - 18 of 18 Posts