Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appears that it was in a maintenance building a little ways away from the actual ammo manufacturing plant. The maintenance building was a complete loss. Several small propane cylinders exploded.

I guess there is no way of telling yet just how much the loss of the maintenance building will affect the actual ammunition manufacturing. It depends on what kind of maintenance it refers to. Was it actual plant machines maintenance or was it things like grounds keeping equipment and fork lift type things.

I guess we will have some people pointing out that this is the second major ammo source fire in the past several months. What was the saying? "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three or more times is enemy action!"

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Isn't this the same plant that has had union problems? They are in the process of moving south as I recall.

T

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
November 04, 2010

Olin calls workers' bluff: Ammo plant to Mississippi

A day after union workers rejected for a second time a contract that might have saved their jobs, the Metro East company told them it was moving about 1,000 ammunition production jobs from Metro East to Oxford, Miss.

As members of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers District 9 left the East Alton catering hall where the ballots were tallied Tuesday night, more than a few of the employees ventured that Olin was bluffing.

The company, they maintained, had no intention of following through on its threat to move their jobs. On Wednesday, Olin called their bluff by announcing that it would build a 500,000-square-foot facility when it moves its ammunitions operations.

Posted November 5, 2010

Despite the urging of two federal lawmakers, Olin Corp. says it is moving an ammunition plant and 1,000 jobs from Illinois to Mississippi.

The relocation is expected to take place over several years.

Olin will invest about $100 million to create 1,000 new jobs over the next five years.

·
Premium Member
11,730 Posts
Hope nobody was hurt.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Construction on the plant in Mississippi was well underway prior to any contract discussion. Mississippi is a right to work state. The rejected/substandard rounds of centerfire ammo from the Mississippi plant is mind boggling. Those rounds are trucked back to East Alton, where they are recycled. I am not sure how many 9mm rounds it would take to fill a 55 gallon drum, but the Mississippi plant ships 3-4 barrels per day of each caliber back to East Alton

·
5,245 Posts
I'm sure Bush had some hand in this...

j.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
If I remember correctly, Olin was using money saved from union benefits to the workers to finance the move. That is what the workers were striking or not accepting in the contract.

I'm sure that the money saved with wages being less in Mississippi than in Alton the ammo would be cheaper, right?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Jbailey, my source of information is, a very close friend works as a spotter driver @ the East Alton plant. Through casual discussion this subject came up. The discussion started when I was asked to provide temperature controlled transportation for fulminated mercury from East Alton to the Oxford, MS plant. I work for a trucking company in the area. The company I work for did transport this product from East Alton to Oxford. My friend suggested I bid on the daily transfer of non temperature product from East Alton to Oxford, because there is a return load of the sub-standard rounds daily from Oxford back to East Alton. The company I work for is Twin Lake Trucking based in East St Louis, IL. Please visit our website www.twinlaketrucking.com and review that we are a HAZMAT certified carrier and provide temp controlled transportation for 48 states and 2 Canadian provinces. Larry Lockhart

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HDLLLIII,

I realize that you are the trucker and not the maker but I am curious. What would they be using fulminated mercury for? That is a high explosive which has not been used as a primer mix for decades. It went out of favor because it would amalgamate the brass and made cartridges unsuitable for reloading. In addition, being a mercury compound that would actually release mercury into the air when detonated introduces mercury poisoning potential to users. Plus its stability is not the greatest. With the environmental concerns even with the little bit of mercury used in the CFL bulbs, what would be the need of mercury fulminate be at either East Alton or Oxford?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Pyrdek, I do not know what the fulminated mercury was used for at either facility. I was contacted by Olin and asked to transport this material @ 40 degrees from East Alton to Oxford. This came from a bunker that was temperature controlled @ the East Alton facility. I do not recall the exact weight of the shipment, but as memory serves me it was in excess of 20K lbs. Larry Lockhart

·
Registered
218 Posts
Keep in mind that Olin/Winchester has lot's of military contracts.

The first time I was to visit their plant in East Alton, I walked up to the entrance gate with a camera around my neck and the security people liked to have had a fainting spell. I was obliged to leave it with them and pick it up upon leaving.

I did notice that the employees were opening their lunch pails both coming in and going out and showing the contents to the security people.

Having never worked at a factory of any kind I never gave any thought to plant secrets and security. My country boy upbringing didn't include these concerns.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts