Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased 1,000 Fiochhi primers and loaded 600 shells. Shot 175 and a dozen shells would not fire. They were barely dented and would not fire. Thought the firing pin was dirty, took it apart and thoroughly cleaned it . Put it back together, same thing. I shoot a BT99 Plus, I borrowed two different BT99s same thing. I have came to the conclusion that the primer cup is seated too deep in the battery cup, and not on all primers . The failure to fire happens occasionally, very frustrating and disrupting of the squad.
I took 400 unused primers back to the Sporting Goods Shop, received every excuse in the book, I didn't buy them there, must have been promotional shells - Remington Gun Clubs ??? Not meant to be reloaded !
The question was about the Fiochhi primers not the hulls.

Hired help, looked like he just fell off of a TURNIP WAGON !

Now I have 425 loaded and IFFY shells ?

Frank Fortyone

·
Registered
155 Posts
never did like Fiochhi primers they are one of the most inconsistent primers when it comes to velocity and they are hard' they work in my beretta's but not to well in my Brownings.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
fioochi.png

Frank I have reloaded with the 616 for years couldn't count how many thousands
Never a FTF

You might ought to contact Fiocchi with the Lot number and see if they have had any issues with that lot.
Wonder if the sporting goods store stored them improperly,

DGH

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, I too have loaded and shot thousands and thousands of Fiocchi primers and never had a problem until this thousand . I have used AA , Remington, and Federal casings the only OTHER problem was the Fiocchi primers WERE slightly oversized and enlarged the primer pocket and caused different brand primers to fall out after two or three re -loadings.
What has me baffled is why the same barely dented shell will not fire with my BT99 and two other BT99s ?

DGH,
I have dealt mostly with one Sporting goods Supply Store, they are a BIG operation with a lot of turnover (employees) hence the " Turnip Wagon Clerk " I don't believe improper storage is the problem.
As far as contacting Fiocchi, I will probably save time and consternation and eat the last 400 primers and de-load the
the IFFY 425 loads. Save the lead ,wads and powder and buy Winchester 209s!

50ralph50,
I do know re-loading components are not returnable. I have bought several new cars and returned them to different dealers for service/warranty, they never refused to service their product Brand.
I believe any Sporting Goods Store that sells a product should stand behind those products .

But That's Just Me,
Frank Fortyone

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I don't mean to hijack the thread, just don't buy any CCI209M to replace them. Lot numbers HG258 and IG361. Junk stuff. Pi$$es me off to no end. Had 5000 of each lot to use up, in pasture trap and league.
Gave 200 to a guy with a well maintained Perrazi to see what experience he had. SAME THING.

My experience was one shell would show normal firing pin indent with normal flattened inner cup. The next primer would fire, but as a punk load. The inner cup had very VERY light pimple indent on the inner cup. All primers fired, but bystanders behind could hear the difference though.

Every time I felt a punk load, sure enough the inner cup had just a knat's a$$ pimpled inner cup.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had the same issue a few years back. I was buying the Fiocchi primers because they were cheap. I was shooting a Browning Citori and my son was shooting a BT100. I never had an issue but my son had plenty. They looked like light hits from the firing pin. I took the gun to a smith and had the firing pin & springs replaced thinking that was the problem but no. Still had the problem after that. I started using Winchester primers and never had an issue since. I used up all of the Fiocchi primers I had loading gray AA's for me to use and then loading red AA's for my son to use with the Winchester primers. Once the Fiocchi's were gone, I had to kick the gray AA's because the Winchester primers were now loose in the primer cup as they're a bit smaller in diameter. No more Fiocchi's for me!

·
Registered
180 Posts
My Brownings never liked the Fiocchi primers. Lots of FTF. I'd just save them and run them through the 391 and no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
Fiocchi primers will not fire in my 90T. Hardest primer in the business. Coupled with the fact you are stuck with them for the life of the hull due to primer pocket expansion, makes it easy to avoid them. Even if they were free. Learned it all the hard way, of course.

HM

·
Registered
13,154 Posts
Interesting, I've loaded 15,000+ of them, shot out of a BT 99, Beretta 390 and not one mis fire. I take that back, had one not go off, looked at primer no mark or dent, stuck it back in, Ka Boom.

"barely dented" tells me a firing pin issue of some sort. If the ones that go off have good strike dents and the ones that don't, don't?????

Did you try again on the ones that didn't go off??

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As I said firing pin was cleaned and inspected, tried firing in two different BT99s and failed to fire. Tried to refire a few and 2 out 12 fired. Squad members were not too happy.

DGH posted a website for Fiocchi , I called there Yesterday and talked to rep. Troy Potter who asked for the lot number and the price I paid for the 1,000 primers.

Full Rebate will be sent.

Thanks to all for Your input,
Frank Fortyone

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I read a lot of messages here with people having trouble with different primers. I guess I am just lucky. I have used Fiocchi, CCI, Winchester, Cheditte, Federal, and Remington. And in 20 years I can count on 1 hand the number of FTF's that were the primer's fault. And I average about 17K rounds a year. All my reloading has been done on MEC progressive presses. I now have the Automate and love it.

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
All shotguns are not created equal. At least as far as firing pin, hammer spring, headspace, and related issues. I have a friend with a K80 that absolutely wallops anything you feed it. Same with my 1100's. The BT99 I previously shot did not like Fiocchi primers. My Citori has no such issue.
If you have a problem, solve it. My solution was CCI. That way no expensive gunsmithing was needed. YMMV

HM

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I would bet that when you loaded these primers the bases of the shells pushed in,,, check loaded shells with a straightedge across the top of the primer,,, bet there dished,, fiocchi are fat primers and remington gun clubs are steel headed, makes for dished primers

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I offered to send the 400 Fiocchi primers that I did not load back to the Company for analysis.

This was his answer.

Troy Potter

12:43 PM (1 hour ago)

Thank you Frank,

I’ll get a refund to you.

I appreciate the offer but unfortunately we can’t ship primers back and forth due to their classification as hazardous materials. Special licenses and restrictions in play.

You might try the primers in a pump or semi auto if you have one or access. Sometimes they hit harder or a little deeper compared to O/Us.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SootThemAll ,

Casings that appear to be made of brass, are steel coated to look like brass. Check them with a magnet!
At the club yesterday that question arose, a fella with some older AAs that appeared to have a brass head uses a magnetized barrel rest. The AAs jumped like a "Duck on a June Bug " to the magnetized barrel rest.!

Frank Fortyone

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
SootThemAll ,

Casings that appear to be made of brass, are steel coated to look like brass. Check them with a magnet!
At the club yesterday that question arose, a fella with some older AAs that appeared to have a brass head uses a magnetized barrel rest. The AAs jumped like a "Duck on a June Bug " to the magnetized barrel rest.!

Frank Fortyone
Frank,,, All primers have a steel outer shell, so yes a magnet will attract a AA,,, Find me a AA that's steel and i might change my mind,,, I say bullshirt.. AA's are Brass bases,,,,, remington STS/Nitro are Brass,,, Remington gun clubs are STEEL based, can be brass colored but are STEEL...
Federal are all steel now, winchester universal's are steel, so are all the Euro trash shells......
I was trying to tell you your problem but I guess it flew over your reloading head like an F-16 at full throttle..

When you figure it out let me know.....Steve

1 - 20 of 27 Posts