Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am not looking for reloading recipes only information on the differences between the two primers and if they can be exchanged.

I recently purchased an 8 pound container of Hodgdon 700X and 2000 Fiocchi 616-209 primers. Hodgdon 700X data only list the 617 primer. Anyone have any information on this or if they used the 616 where the 617 primer is listed? I did send the two companies email and hoping they can give me information but haven’t heard from them at this point.

Sky Ecoregion Light Nature Natural environment

· Registered
1,324 Posts
I have loaded thousands of 1oz 8 1/2 shot loads with 700x and the 616. Cheap Federal hull and a 12so claybuster wad. 15.8 grns. of powder. It will wreck the first bird in doubles!! It was a published load that I found years ago but I am old and can't remember who published the recipe. You failed to mention what size payload you were looking to push. Good luck in your search..............Both the 700x and the 616's are great componets.

· Registered
2,397 Posts
It would help to know what you are loading as components. 1 1/8 oz. loads the pressure is on the higher side and like you have already done contacting Hodgdon is a good idea. Which the fact you have contacted them why would you believe all us experts here anyway.

You are certainly headed down the right road and I would wait for Hodgdon's reply before I started reloading with the Fio primers.

· Registered
489 Posts
I agree that we need to know the rest of the OP’s load in question.

I know this will set off a lot of the “published recipe only” folks here, but just use your head. If your published load with Win 209 primers is a lower/medium pressure load (say 7000 to 9000 psi), then switching to a Fiocchi 616 primer is not going to cause you any safety issues. The top end 12-GA pressure (per SAAMI) is 11,500 psi. If your original load is close to that (doubtful), then you may need to take care with primer substitution.

Reactions: txdrmst

· Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Great information and thanks. Wonder why Hodgdon would even have that primer listed in their data if it’s actually not available to reloaders.

If the 617 is a magnum primer I would think you would want to slightly increase your powder charge when using the 616 to make up a small difference.

Again great information and exactly what I was looking for. It will be interesting to hear what Hodgdon and Fiocchi have to say. Now that the holiday is over hopefully I’ll hear from them.

· Premium Member
8,297 Posts
Great information and thanks. Wonder why Hodgdon would even have that primer listed in their data if it’s actually not available to reloaders.

If the 617 is a magnum primer I would think you would want you should slightly increase your powder charge when using the 616 to make up a small difference.

Again great information and exactly what I was looking for. It will be interesting to hear what Hodgdon and Fiocchi have to say. Now that the holiday is over hopefully I’ll hear from them.
Probably wouldn't want to increase powder any without knowing.

If you read ballistic tables for shotgun reloading thoroughly, a mid level primer and a hot primer will use the same grains per recipe design. It will just effect pressure as an end result.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts

If you read ballistic tables for shotgun reloading thoroughly, a mid level primer and a hot primer will use the same grains per recipe design. It will just effect pressure as an end result.
His interpretation of the given data I don’t agree with (. that pressure increases recoil ) but his data is sound in the following link.

Be very wary substituting primers wily nily.

Reactions: bosni

· Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great advice.

Good advice Pheasantmaster. By keeping the powder charge the same it will remain the same feet per second and will only change pressures if I increase it. I certainly would not want to do that. I always did my reloads by the book. But with components not available anymore we look into other options. Of course we all want to be safe. Thanks everyone.

PS, still waiting on replies from Hodgdon and Fiocchi on this matter.

· Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to talk about your target photo and specifically how you took it. That is awesome!
Thanks it’s just my original profile picture with a photo added to the top. Two photos in one. If you have an iPhone or iPad there are many different apps you can use to create this. The Clay Target breaking was taken from Google after doing a search for Clay targets breaking. Then with the app you add another photo to an existing photo. The app I used was called Adobe Photoshop Express. Here’s the link to the app. Hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.