Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm using load data from the Lyman #5 shot shell book and it's not working. The hulls are just rolling over the brass .I have tried adjusting my press but nothing is working. It looks like I have to much room still in the hull . I'm using unique powder and AA20 wads . Is this load data just old and doesn't work with these new hulls. Where can I find a load that will work. I was given about 5,000 616 primers and 200 new fiocchi hulls that I would like to use. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Raise the final crimp 2 or 3 turns and see what happens. You can always adjust it back down if it is a little to high.

·
Premium Member
5,714 Posts
The "new Fiocchi hulls" is your issue. When you say "new" I assume you mean new and never loaded before and never fired.

·
Premium Member
5,844 Posts
So I'm using load data from the Lyman #5 shot shell book and it's not working. The hulls are just rolling over the brass .I have tried adjusting my press but nothing is working. It looks like I have to much room still in the hull . I'm using unique powder and AA20 wads . Is this load data just old and doesn't work with these new hulls. Where can I find a load that will work. I was given about 5,000 616 primers and 200 new fiocchi hulls that I would like to use. Thanks for any help
Find a recipe using the 20S1 wad and try that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Has anyone actually ever tried to put a Cheerio in a hull to take up space? I did. It crushed into oat powder and was worthless. If you don't mind "confetti" in the air each time you shoot, you can use an overshot card to get a good flat crimp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions I think I have some 20S1 wads around some place I'll try that but I'm leaning towards just getting rid of the hulls.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you are consistently crushing hulls....it is the hull. Not the load you are trying.

When I was a teenager in the early/mid 70's, I thought I could figure out a load with the old Winchester/Western hulls of the time. They were the equivalent of the cheapest box store ammo back then.

I thought that since they said Winchester, they had some sort of redeemable quality. Do yourself a favor and pick a quality hull and buy the components to fit THAT hull.

You can thank me later.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have had that same problem with Fiocchi hulls in 410, 20 and 16 ga. I solved it by adjusting the starter crimp lower prior to the final crimp. That being said this problem gets worse when trying to reload a once fired hull probably because the heat from the powder charge weakens the hull. I won't buy these hulls again they are not worth the trouble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts