Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking back through all the Cheddite primer threads over the years was some good reading. I didn't find the answer I was looking for, so I'll ask...Anyone load Remington/Winchester hulls with Cheddite primers after the hull was loaded using the Fiocchi 616 primer? Anyone encounter any challenges with diameter/size differences? My loads are pretty mild, and after reading through threads this morning it sounds like pressures shouldn't be an issue. If fellow shot shell reloaders have seen problems transitioning from Fiocchi to Cheddite, I will start fresh with once fired hulls. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just did exactly that. STS hull previously loaded twice with Fiocchi 616. New load is Cheddite 209, 16.5 grn 700x, CB8118 wad and 9/8 oz 71/2's. I only loaded 100 because I was worried the primer pocket would be to big. I had no problems at all.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
You will find opinions going both ways when you ask a question about primer size. Why don't you de-prime and re-prime a few and check them out? If that looks ok, load a box and test that out. Opinions are sometimes valuable, but don't forget what they are like.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I've been loading with the Fio 616 for a very long time. Years ago they were bigger and once you started using them in a hull there was no going back again. That all changed a few years ago and they are real close now in size to regular 209's. I have not had any loose primers when switching between 209A and the current production 616 in the same hull.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts