Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought a few shotguns in to get looked at and some stock work done at a gunsmith at Gander Mtn. He talked me into cutting the lengths of my stocks. I know very bad decision . My question is I do not know what was on his hands when he touched the barrels, but it left finger prints that I can not get off my barrel. Would please like some help. And if you need to you can grill me for my Gander decision.
Thanks Dan P.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Are the prints white in color? (the color of steel). He could have been playing with Navel Jelly or Muratic acid prior, and had not washed his hands well enough.

It's highly unlikely and cleaning solutions or lubes had an effect on the bluing. Bluing is a controled oxidation, to remove it, a type of acid is needed.

If the prints appear to be raised above the service, he may have had some type of epoxy on his fingers and transferred it to the metal where it dried. As an example...super gluing dowels into the old scews holes to install a recoil pad after cutting the stock. Glue on the fingers>>>then touching the gun.

Doug

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The finger prints are dark in color. When I wipe down the gun with oil. They disappear, and then reappear later. Is there a product that will take theses off.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Take a piece of #00000 steel wool with a little oil and see of the steel wool rubs it out. No harm will come to the bluing. Just don't get to crazy.

I agree with the above post...take it back and ask Gander to remove the prints. Being finger prints, it would be hard to deny that they were not yours.

Doug

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a while ago I should have brought them back right away but, it maybe worth a try. The problem is I don't think I want Gander to be away where near my guns. Of all the posts that I have ever read here, no one has ever said, "Bring your guns to Gander Mtn. for a great job." To be honest I trust most people on this site a little more.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
As I recall, GM contracted work to local gunsmiths who worked in house.

It's not like they were minimum wage laborers...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can almost understand the finger prints. It was the cutting of my stocks to kids sizes that really bothered me. Sorry if I offended the gm people. It was just one person.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.