Trapshooters Forum banner

Fine Gravel In Reclaimed Shot

2741 Views 23 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  flashmax
I bought a small amount reclaimed shot recently mined to try out. Its about 95% or better lead shot, with some gravel that made it through the screens that is the same size as the shot. I have washed the shot, and its ready to be re graphited and used. I can not think of an efficient way to get the 5% fine gravel out. 5% is a guess, may be less... Will the wad protect my barrel from the fine gravel? Is loading this shot not worth the risk? I'm sure this has been discussed before, I did a forum search and did not come up with much. Thanks in advance.
Reactions: For Rest
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,087 Posts
I have found if I put my shop vac high up on a bench and the bucket of shot on the floor, it will pick up the shot only partially up the hose while sucking up the debris. Lift up the hose out of the bucket and the shot will drop back out of the hose. Just keep lifting and dropping the shot until the stuff looks cleaned. I am not certain if this will work with gravel fines, but I'm betting it will.

· Premium Member
4,508 Posts
I have found if I put my shop vac high up on a bench and the bucket of shot on the floor, it will pick up the shot only partially up the hose while sucking up the debris. Lift up the hose out of the bucket and the shot will drop back out of the hose. Just keep lifting and dropping the shot until the stuff looks cleaned. I am not certain if this will work with gravel fines, but I'm betting it will.
You. Are a genius!

· Banned
5 Posts
Another vote for this...Works like charm.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Tom Wilkinson, the barrel man, posted a photo of the inside of a shotgun barrel that had a bunch of reclaimed shot through it. It was scratched and scarred it’s entire length. Deep scratches.

I wouldn’t use it unless there was NO alternative. But you can improve the cleanliness by wet gravity separation. Process called sluicing. Like they use for placer gold.

Something like this

· Registered
61 Posts
And another vote for this awesome idea! Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to try it out!!!

· Registered
427 Posts
I use 2 different methods.
I have a cement mixer that has never mixed cement just cleaned mined lead shoot. Use a leaf blower tied to a step latter and lot it blow while the mixer is tumbling now it gets down to 99% clean of sand and small pebbles.
The other method is to get some 1/4 inch hardware screen and attach that to a home made frame 4 ft by 3ft or so.
the put medal screen door fabric over 1/4 screen the shot will not fall thru but the sand will.
Hope this helps.

Mike P
Highland WI

· Registered
13,535 Posts
As flash stated, not in my barrels, thank you.
I have a skeet shooting buddy who bought some reclaimed lead from a club that had been mined. He now has lots of deep scratch's in his K-80 barrels. He told me years ago after this happened, it was not worth it. He will never again buy reclaimed lead. Its just not worth it. Your only saving a few cents a pound. By the time you buy cement mixers and buy screen's and make frames to hold the screens, then run magnets over all the shot, and do all this work. What are you really saving. In the long run all your shot will still be deformed. This shot will be made mostly of all soft shot, and can't be used for handicap loads anyway. So what are you really saving? Just my 2 cents worth. Take it? Or Leave it? your choice. break em all Jeff

· Registered
12,306 Posts

· Registered
1,573 Posts
make a large loop in the hose
like set the vac on a 5gal bucket.
let hose drop to floor. turn on and drop about 1 cup in the hose.
the shot wont get sucked in the vac but the light stuff will.
remember that hose will only hold about 1cup in the bottom loop. so you have to dump it .
takes some time but works

· Registered
12,306 Posts
I think the need for a magnet is more important!!! Steel shot will cause lots of problems with wads made for lead shot. My shooting buddy with the K-80 thinks this is what caused his damage? break em all Jeff
I have reloaded steel shot (waterfowl) for decades and there is not a scratch in my barrels. Sure there is rust from use in saltwater but no scoring.

Something (pellet) somehow got on the outside of the wad or the shot overfilled the cup. The most popular wads for steel also have slits.

The depth of the cup differ greatly for lead vs steel and if he filled a lead wad with steel then he overfilled it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.