Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all-
My son is starting out in trapshooting. He first shot with the county 4-H squad this spring, and is getting involved with ATA/AIM now. He's getting better and better every time he goes out, and now that he's breaking into the 20's pretty consistently, I need to start considering making sure he's got reasonable equipment.

Up to this point, he's been using a basic 20 ga. Remington pump that I had, and I added a longer Wingmaster barrel to. Although I can't consider spending several thousands of dollars on a top-of the-line trap gun right now, I'm sure there are good options that I could look at to get him into a good 12 ga. The problem I'm having with my search is that this kid is growing rapidly, so (in my imagination anyway) I'm thinking that I'd need to consider something with an adjustable comb and buttstock so that he can grow with the gun. Can anyone tell me if I'm off base with that, or if not, what some good options are that I might be able to take a look at to see if it would fit my budget as well as my son?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now, he's about 5'7 and 14 years old. He's grown probably 3-4 inches this year so far, and I'd guess he'll be between 6'0 and 6'2 before it's all over.
The Jack West stock that you linked to looks promising, thanks!

·
Registered
11,329 Posts
I'd look into the newer Rem. 1100 competition with a syn. stock. A very good buy at under a grand, and they have most of the adjustments in the gun already. If you need more, you can always pick-up a used Jack West stock as well (as mentioned above). These are a very soft shooting guns, that your son can shoot all 3 clay target games with. Get all 5 chokes skeet, improved cyl. , modified, Improved Modified, and full and you are good to go for everything under the sun. I've heard nothing but great things about these guns at our club!!!

Your right, to worry about needing a adj. stock and adj. lenth of pull as well. for your sons shooting. These 1100 guns have not been out very long, so trying to buy a used one will be very hard to say the least. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Impossible task. Welcome to the group of shooters who buy, sell and trade guns all their shooting lives. It's like a part-time job always searching for the perfect one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My son just started shooting this year and we were in the exact same boat. We ended up getting him a BT-99 Browning and he has had great luck with it. His scores really came up after he started shooting it. The only drawback is he can't shoot doubles but for regular trap they are hard to beat at the price.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
It is important to find a gun that is user friendly. By that I mean a gun
that will not beat him up when he shoots it. If possible it would be a good
idea if he could shoot the replacement gun before you buy it. HMB

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
A BT-99 is a great choice but it does limit him to singles and hcp. I think the best bang for the buck for a growing shooter is a used Browning XT with 30" bbls. Built like a tank, repaired just about anywhere, he can shoot all three Trap events, Skeet, SC or Bunker as well. Use it for years, put thousands of rounds through it and get most of your money back if your son wants to move on to a different gun.

·
Premium Member
6,110 Posts
Without knowing your financial situation other than not wanting to spend several thousand, I offer the following.

I would dismiss any single shot such as a BT99 although a sound gun, I'd be surprised if your son doesn't want to shoot doubles as they are the really fun part of the game.

My first choice would be an older Browning Citori. Many are around as folks traded into XTs and 725's. A look quite possibly will find one with an adjustable comb and butt. They really don't bring much over a grand especially if non tubed.

Second choice is defined by strength and recoil sensitivity. An 1100 with adjustable comb and length if strength is good and/or recoil sensitive. A 303/390/391 if strength is lacking but recoil isn't an issue, also with adjustable features.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I would take a look at a Beretta A300 Outlander synthetic. You can take spacers out now and add them back in as he grows. Mine works great with light 1 ounce loads and they kick very little. It is also a very reasonably priced gun.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'd say a Remington 1100 Comp. Synthetic or 1100 Trap. Both should be fine but the 1100 Comp Synthetic has a fully adjustable comb and buttplate so it can be adjusted as he grows. There's about 8 or so Comp Synthetics and a few other 1100's on my team and the neighboring school team and I've heard nothing but good things about them execpt for I saw 1 being used by a Presub whose last few inches of barrel blew for an unknown reason, but I'm guessing it was choke related

I'd also look at a Beretta semi auto, 390, 391, or A400 Xcel Parallel Target but the 1100 Comp Synthetic is probably the best for the money and adjustability. Cabelas has them for $900

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lots of great information here folks- I really appreciate it. I'll take a look and see what I can find in my area. Thank you all!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts