Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Have a left-hand Remington 870 and LH 1100 -- both field models with vent rib and fixed full choke.

If the field stocks were changed out for factory monte carlo trap stocks, how much functional difference would there be between these original field guns and a gun which came from the factory designated for trap ?

Would a person shooting them in local Sunday afternoon trap get-togethers be severely challenged versus someone using an original factory trap model ?

Hammer

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Other than having 2 beads and a slightly higher and longer stock, they are the same. I have seen plenty of people shoot very well with a standard Wingmaster.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sarge,

So if I am shooting 20,s and 22's, it means that I suck and embarrasing?

I think you are being a might harsh.

I have seen a few guys run 50 straight with the field gun they use for hunting.

I admit a true trap gun is the way to go but it is not the only way to go.

I have never hit 25 straight yet, and I am still having fun shooting trap, although having to deal with grumpy old men with 5000+ dollar guns.

As to the original topic:

Yes, a trap gun will have an advantage over a field gun because the targets are rising as they travel. Trap guns have a higher POI than a field gun so it gives them a better advantage.

Again, I am a novice to this wonderful sport, as I have probably shot at a mere 1200 birds or so since the end of June.

Just go out and have some fun. I am sure someone at the club will let you try out the trap gun they use. Just make sure you have a box of factory loads with you, as some guys will not let you shoot reloads with their trap guns.

I hope you will enjoy trapshooting as much as I do.

Kenny Uhlbeck

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
If you can shoot a flat(er)-shooting gun, you'll be fine with a parallel stock.

The beads & longer bbl are mostly hogwash.

Bob

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
The 1100 field barrel will not have the protrusion to deflect the shells downward compared to the trap grade. Other than that no difference except for no middle bead which can be installed cheaply on the 1100 and 870.
Steve Balistreri

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
There should be no functional difference in shooting a Trap model vs a converted field model.

There seems to be different views as to the strength of receivers. I have read on this forum posts that claim there is no difference. Were these claims made by people that were truely knowledgeable or only that they knew you could use a trap barrel on a field receiver? Many years ago (1970's) a Remington rep stated that all 12 ga trap and skeet guns were built on MAGNUM RECEIVERS so as to better withstand the higher use these guns would have to endure. Made sense to me. Marc

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
There's a HUGE difference between field and trap receivers: the trap receivers have "Trap" stamped on them.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The only difference between and standard and a magnum receiver is the ejector.

The ejector on the magnums is a designed to be a little farther back to handle the 3" shell.

Otherwise the parts are the same, until you get to the recently made super magnums for the 3.5" shells.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.