Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I find them too bright and possibly a distraction cause they look nice.
I do use the magnetic type with the white pipe in place of other colors, behind the existing brass bead.
the brass bead is useless to me.when I get the chance,i change out the brass bead and put in the beretta red bead for the ase90, that has a darker red plastic not brighter than the target itself.

·
6,115 Posts
I think they look cool. They give me a reference in my peripheral vision... I'm not missing birds due to a colored light pipe.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Trap is pretty simple, FITASC is not. One of the best FITASC shooters that I know of locally, Will Fennell, removes the beads from his barrels. Different strokes, etc..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m not a fan of bright front “sights” on a shotgun. The brass bead works for me, even the white bead on my Remington is ok but the Ithaca RayBar is distracting to me. Even my cheap Stoeger has a fiber optic that I want to remove.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Judging from what I'm seeing in the shops, at the range and on the field, fiber optic (light pipe) sights are all the rage. I can't, for the life of me, see why. I remember the red ramp on revolvers fifty years ago. In sunlight, they flare and I can't get a clear sight picture. I painted mine black. On a shotgun they distract from what you should be seeing. I have a tritium front on my SD pistol but it is non-glowing in daylight.
I encouraged my "student athletes" on our high school trap club to get their alignment and then forget the sights. None of them have those glow worms now.
I've had guys complain about a sudden decrease in their scores. Almost invariably, they had added a magnetic light pipe, and in a few cases, higher than the original.
I can see the use in something like 3-gun but not where precise sight pictures are important. I don't even care for red dots other than on an action pistol type gun. Dots are way too big.
I'm an old fart and grew up with Patridge sights on my revolvers, Redfield Sourdoughs on my 94, and brass beads on my shotgun. I do have Bradley ivory on my trap guns.
Living alone in the past, I remain, Stan.
I have them on a couple of pistols that I shoot at the range. The only time they help me is when I'm shooting at twilight. Other people love them.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Get in a shoot off for a big event and shoot under he lights with one of those green fiber front sights and you will quickly realize a huge looking glowing green front sight that looks to be the size of an apple is probably not the way to go..

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
A few years ago I thought I'd better find out if there was any advantage to be gained by having a red, orange, yellow or green light gathering front sight on my trap guns. I found none of them to be beneficial so ended up giving the things away. I'd rate my purchase one of the worst £30s I've spent in a long time.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts