Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I like Meadow Industries Vari-Brite-Site III. This one has a channel to block the off eye from seeing glow end of the pipe.

This has helped my bead checking and cross firing. Hard focus on the target, but not so hard that you don't see the bead; move the glow bead were it should be and fire. I found that I bead check because I was not sure were the bead was. With it glowing out there it made it easier for me to keep my focus on the target.

Some friends found the glow bead too distracting and their eyes were drawn to it.

Jason

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
Another vote for the Fiber Optic front bead. I use the Hi-Viz small green pipe.

Scores went up, more confidence in where the gun was in my peripheral vision, no need to look at the gun. YMMV

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Bright fiber optic beads and pipe lights confirm the need to have a highly visible reference point on the end of your barrel so the eyes can tell your hands where to point. This is particularly so when shooting in low light or shadowed targets.

What say you Neil.

Surfer

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Since I'm an aimer, Surfer, of course I agree. But I've always found it odd that the "no-bead" hardliners have people blackening their beads in the mistaken belief that it makes them invisible. Except in near darkness. they are equally or more visible.

Neil

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Neil,
As we we've seen and heard blacked out or no beads work for some, but I would challenge those shooters who think they would get the same results in very low light or heavily shadowed targets. I also think these shooters are the ones who blank out/ cover the target when pulling the trigger so in reality they are using the end of their barrel as their reference point to guide their hands to the target.

I learned a hard lesson when I was dragged to the blackened corner of the trapfield for a buddy shoot-off to find I couldn't make out end of my barrel because I lost the ivory bead and didn't think I needed to replace it, my eyes couldn't tell my hands where point because they had no reference.

But who really knows, what works for me may not work for anyone else, so I've become wise enough not to tell someone to remove something the manufacturer knows has a purpose, only to add something to enhance performance.

Surfer

·
Banned
8,351 Posts
Neil is dead on with what he is saying about blacked out and hi viz sites ... Hi Viz is the best with the sight eliminator ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have tried them on numerous occasions, always the same result...couldn't get my eyes off the bead. They don't work for me.In fact if anyone would like to try one I will sell the one I have that is magnetized and comes with various size clips for different rib sizes for just five bucks and a buck to cover postage ($6.00 total). Its a small red cone inside a green outer cone.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Mike, that's exactly what happened to my Vandalia Commemorative 391 in about ten shots - the light-pipe scattered. I just test choke tubes with it anyway, so I use the remaining peep sight at the muzzle to center my patterns and it works great!

Neil

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yes Neil,I have a stone gray front bead to make it disappear.In very low light it sucks.I have been using the INTL trick of white electrical tape at the end of the rib on those very rare occasions.....I find the Unidot great for teaching two eyed and then I want it gone.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks folks for all of the good Info. I have a HiViz on my 5 stand gun and really like it. Just bought a pair of TruGlos for my Trap gun.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
As a 32 time ATA All American shooter told me during her clinic "fiber optic beads are just distractions". I haven't used one since.

blade819

·
Registered
117 Posts
I used the green one for years. Last year I took the Nora Ross clinic, she said get rid of them. I put the white one in and never looked back.
My average went up, I'm sure it had more to do with what Nora taught in the clinic.

Thanks Nora

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have several guns that are identical (yeah, I know, I gotta' kick the habit) except for the front sight. I have white, red, and a fiber-optic. If, at the end of a day's shooting, you were to ask me what the sight looked like, I'd have to stop and think what particular gun was getting used.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts