Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I getting some good advice regarding my quest for a BT-99 and getting a few leads. Thank-you.

I'm skiddish about internet buying or any not person-to-person deals. I read on TS.com not long that those deals are safest if they go FFL to FFL. Okay. But I can't find that thread but I believe it stated the check should be written to the seller's FFL dealer, not to the individual unless he has an FFL. Is my memory correct?

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
Consult FFLs on both ends and ask them what they want to do.

I would think MANY FFLs would not want payment made out to them, since then they have to cash the check, and pay the seller.

Finding a FFL willing to make outbound shipments, and act as the middleman for payment for little or no compensation probably won't be easy either.

·
Krieghoff K80
2,481 Posts
Skeet.........I always thought this was best ! I would gladly pay an FFL an additional $25.00 to simply cash a check and give funds to seller. Would cut down on sleepless nights for sure..................

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
Does anyone know of a FFL dealer anywhere who's actually willing get involved in the financial part of a private transaction (accept payment from a buyer, ship the gun to the buyer, cash the buyers payment, and pay the seller)?

I personally have never heard of a FFL who's willing to act as a ersatz escrow account.

I would think this would open the FFL to MANY more headaches than simply having a FFL already provides.

It would also create all sorts of extra bookkeeping and possibly sales tax issues.

And as a seller or a buyer I would never even consider getting involved in such a convoluted type of transaction.

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
I did manage to find one FFL that offers such a service in MN.

Charge is $100, plus another $25 for shipping if they are working for the seller.

http://www.rcarms.com/67.html

Their website is pretty low-rent, so I'm not sure I'd trust them without getting references.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Why would ATF care? The seller transferred the gun to his FFL dealer who transferred it to your FFL dealer who transferred it to you, where's the problem?

·
Krieghoff K80
2,481 Posts
Any FFL already has to ship the gun to the buyer....My FFL charges $50.00. All he has to do is transfer funds for another $25.00 or $50.00 bucks. Nobody loses...............

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
"Fear of complaint to ATF."

And thats a large part of the reason why I can't understand why ANY ffl would want to get involved in this type of transaction.

For Example:

Buyer wins a gun on gunbroker.

He sends payment to the sellers FFL.

Payment is received, and firearm is received by buyers FFL.

A week passes, and nothing is heard from the buyer or the buyers FFL, so the sellers FFL releases the funds to the seller.

Then the buyer calls to complain that the gun is misrepresented.

Sellers FFL says, Sorry, seller has the funds, and I'm washing my hands of it.

Buyer calls ATF to complain, which results in a headache (although no penalty because no law was broken) for the FFL.

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem is when it doesn't happened like that. I would rather be seeking action against a FFL than against Bongo at the Nigerian Embassy.

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
"Any FFL already has to ship the gun to the buyer....My FFL charges $50.00. All he has to do is transfer funds for another $25.00 or $50.00 bucks. Nobody loses............... "

But what dealer with any sense is going to want to get involved in the financial portion of the transaction for $25-$50?

The only FFL I could find that offers such a service charges $100. How many are willing to pay that?

And that also assumes you can find a FFL on BOTH ends willing to play ball.

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
"I would rather be seeking action against a FFL than against Bongo at the Nigerian Embassy. "

And why would any FFL want to set themselves up for that?

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Send the payment directly to the owner. The FFL on the other end simply becomes a transfer agent for a fee. Nothing hard about that. Why would any sane FFL dealer want anything to do with your money??

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
The receiving FFL that I use would be happy to send one out for me if I asked him. In case of a problem it is between me and the buyer.

So why does there seem to be such a problem?

HM

·
Registered
817 Posts
What I have done a few of times with someone I am not able to get a reference on, is to ask him to agree to furnish the name and phone number of the FFL he will be using. I will confirm his FFL is legit, then I call his FFL and talk with him to make sure he is in the transaction loop and explain what I have purchased or am planning to purchase. I then send the USPS money order or orders, depending on the amount, and they will be made out to the seller, but I send them to the FFL by priority mail with signature confirmation. When the seller takes the gun I have purchased to the FFL for shipment he can pick up his funds. This is not fool proof, but I haven't had a bad deal yet by doing it that way, and the FFL doesn't end up with his money involved in the deal.

There are some sellers on here, Boomer in particular, that I would would not hesitate to send cash, if need be, and feel confident the deal would be completed.

Communication and common sense goes a long way in making a deal work, when face to face isn't possible.

My two cents worth.

Bob

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not sure how it works in other states but in KY if the receiving dealer handles the money he is obligated to collect 6% sales tax.

Rex

1 - 20 of 21 Posts