Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for my next skeet/trap shotgun as I recently sold my Remington 1100 Synthetic Competition and have been following some Beretta 682X combos and 682 Gold Es but from time to time I find an over/under or two from Ferlach Austria in my search queues.

Based on the info I can find, these guns are typically made by Merkel but have been engraved by master craftsmen in Ferlach Austria. Most of them are classified as Curio & Relic Long Guns with 2 3/4" chambers.

Would it be completely out of realm to use one of these for sporting clays just to have something different, or should I stick to finding a 682X or 682 Gold E?

Reference: Ferlach - Martin Kruschitz - 12 Guage at Cabalas
Gun Library: Ferlach ~ Martin Kruschitz ~ 12ga. : Cabela's

·
Registered
14,133 Posts
Since it's fixed full, it will make an EXTREMELY poor skeet gun.
Since it is 28", it will make a poor trap gun.
Since it is 28" and fixed full, it will make an extremely poor sporting clays gun.
Since it is an antique, it will make a poor clay target gun unless you shoot less than 50 shells a year. Parts will be basically impossible to find a require fabrication, and gunsmithing will be difficult to find and very expensive. I would bet that if ANYTHING on it breaks, start at $300 and go up from there to get it running again.

Makes about as much sense as using a Model A as your daily commuter.

If you want to buy it as a hunting gun that you run a dozen shells a year through, go for it, although even then the chokes will need to be opened.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since it's fixed full, it will make an EXTREMELY poor skeet gun.
Since it is 28", it will make a poor trap gun.
Since it is 28" and fixed full, it will make an extremely poor sporting clays gun.
Since it is an antique, it will make a poor clay target gun unless you shoot less than 50 shells a year. Parts will be basically impossible to find a require fabrication, and gunsmithing will be difficult to find and very expensive. I would bet that if ANYTHING on it breaks, start at $300 and go up from there to get it running again.

Makes about as much sense as using a Model A as your daily commuter.

If you want to buy it as a hunting gun that you run a dozen shells a year through, go for it, although even then the chokes will need to be opened.
This is the kinda of level-headed reasoning I need.... I think I only find it appealing because it is exotic. I'll keep on looking for the right 682X or 682 Gold E. Thanks skeet_man

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
To light, no parts. To much drop in the stock for a trap gun. Stay away and buy something that works and had some kind of resale value

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I'm looking for my next skeet/trap shotgun as I recently sold my Remington 1100 Synthetic Competition and have been following some Beretta 682X combos and 682 Gold Es but from time to time I find an over/under or two from Ferlach Austria in my search queues.

Based on the info I can find, these guns are typically made by Merkel but have been engraved by master craftsmen in Ferlach Austria. Most of them are classified as Curio & Relic Long Guns with 2 3/4" chambers.
I had a S/S with an extra barrel that was shotgun on one side and unknown caliber of rifle on other side.(aprox 6mm i think, black powder shells) Was a 20 ga. with extra,extra full chokes on both barrels. Smoke a teal at 50 yards and only about 6 lbs. Had a problem that was extremely dangerous. Sometimes when you shut gun it would fire. Had some of the best S/S gunsmiths around try and fix this. NOBODY could find anything wrong with it. Skeet shooter (collector) wanted it and offered a fair price for it. Made him sign a release stating that i had WARNED him of this very dangerous condition. He not care. Both of us happy with this deal. No idea where you could ever get one fixed. Mine was about 1850 vintage. GLAD it found a new home!!!
Would it be completely out of realm to use one of these for sporting clays just to have something different, or should I stick to finding a 682X or 682 Gold E?

Reference: Ferlach - Martin Kruschitz - 12 Guage at Cabalas
Gun Library: Ferlach ~ Martin Kruschitz ~ 12ga. : Cabela's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts