Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first electric guitar was a Fender Strat that was made in USA because back then they all were. I have been pretty much straight acoustic for better than 30 years, and things have changed. Most of the new Fenders are made in Mexico now. Are they any good? My original Les Paul was less than $300, It bothers me to think about paying $800 plus dollars for a Mexico guitar, even if it says Fender on it. All the stuff has gone way up. Gibson SG's are a little higher price, but I think they are made in USA.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Some of the cheaper model Fenders are made in Mexico today. However, a significant number are still made in California. Maybe some in Korea. You get what you pay for. You can pick up a new Strat made in the USA for under a thousand. I have several early 80's made in Japan Strats that are as good or maybe even better made than the US made are. You should be able to pick up a Mexico Strat for three hundred dollars.

blade819

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Some of the cheaper model Fenders are made in Mexico today. However, a significant number are still made in California. Maybe some in Korea. You get what you pay for. You can pick up a new Strat made in the USA for under a thousand. I have several early 80's made in Japan Strats that are as good or maybe even better made than the US made are. You should be able to pick up a Mexico Strat for three hundred dollars.

blade819

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
How do you guitar guys compare Fender and Martin acoustic guitars?

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
How do you guitar guys compare Fender and Martin acoustic guitars?

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an old D-28 Martin that I still love. It was pricey then, like they are now, but it seems like a bargain by today's prices. I have never regreted buying a good one once.

My advice if you are looking for an acoustic with electric features, get one that already has the electronics pac from the factory, like some of the Taylors. I tried to have one added after the fact and it does not work out as well as the Taylor system.

Thanks for the tip Blade, If the weather cooperates I will drive to Indianapolis this weekend and check out a larger store. Not a lot of selection in a small town, especially for stuff that is not geared to the youth market.

I did try out a traditional wood body Fender acoustic as well as a black plastic body one like an ovation. They were terrible! I cannot believe Fender would put their name on them.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an old D-28 Martin that I still love. It was pricey then, like they are now, but it seems like a bargain by today's prices. I have never regreted buying a good one once.

My advice if you are looking for an acoustic with electric features, get one that already has the electronics pac from the factory, like some of the Taylors. I tried to have one added after the fact and it does not work out as well as the Taylor system.

Thanks for the tip Blade, If the weather cooperates I will drive to Indianapolis this weekend and check out a larger store. Not a lot of selection in a small town, especially for stuff that is not geared to the youth market.

I did try out a traditional wood body Fender acoustic as well as a black plastic body one like an ovation. They were terrible! I cannot believe Fender would put their name on them.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The Fender American Standard series Strats and Teles are great guitars. Check out the big music retailers like Guitar Center and Musicians Friend. They often have good deals. I would avoid Fender acoustic guitars.

See? I opened another guitar thread! Where is that dude complaining about guitars ?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The Fender American Standard series Strats and Teles are great guitars. Check out the big music retailers like Guitar Center and Musicians Friend. They often have good deals. I would avoid Fender acoustic guitars.

See? I opened another guitar thread! Where is that dude complaining about guitars ?

·
Registered
597 Posts
The Mexican Guitars and basses are more of an entry-level type instrument.

They are reasonably priced. Check Musician`s Friend to get a good feel for Mexican vs. American Fender pricing.

Regards , Pete

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
I have a NEW Takamine EF360GF for sale in the For Sale Threads. $2250 MSRP and I'm giving it away for $1550 including shipping. Not a Martin or Taylor but a very sweet sounding Electric Acoustic.

blade819

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the tip about the Musicians Friend website. It is pretty good. Big difference in price between retail at a small shop and sale price at a mass merchandiser. It looks like I will be needing money for another habit.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I had a Fender Bandmaster tube amp with 2 - 10 or 12" speakers. Man I loved that thing, only it took up a lot of space in the car. I sold it in the late 70s or early 80s. I thought - tubes would disappear and I wouldn't be able to find tubes for it when they went bad. I purchased a solid state Yamaha. Anybody seen what tube amps are going for on Ebay? I should have been buying tube amps 30 years ago instead of selling em.

I was in Best Buy several years ago before Christmas. They were selling "Fender" name tag guitars for something like $99 with an amp. WTF - $99! I couldn't believe Fender would put their name on something so cheap.

Not to be a smart a_$, but I wouldn't be afraid of a Mexican made Fender. The Fender guitars made in CA are probably made by Mexicans anyway so what the difference between one made in CA or Mexico. Both made by the same people. I'm sure resale value would be better for one made in Mexico, but if you are just wanting one to play.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Musicians is a good place to buy and so is Janet Davis Music. Janets website is better for banjos than most any

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
I play on a Peavy Classic Tube Amp. Modified with Super Tubes and an additional 12" Peavy Speaker cabinet. A Lot of Rock n Rollers us the same setup.

blade819

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
magnum shot is right. Mexican Fenders are a blank palette for customizing. I have a friend who is in a local bar band. He is always tweaking on guitars. He likes the "crunchy" tone he gets from the Mex Strats.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts