Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m wondering what some people think the percentage of female trap shooters are successfully able to shoot with both eyes open? I’ve heard numbers as high as 90% of females must use a form of one-eyed shooting. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Jon Reitz

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
Most shooters both male and female are right handed shooters. Although I can’t prove it, I read that women are more predominantly right eye dominant.

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
My memory is foggy on this , but I remember hearing or seeing something that indicated most women shooters tend to be one eyed shooters.

Phil Kiner would be a good person to answer this question.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Interesting you bring this up. I coached a couple college teams over the course of 6 years and have taught clinics, etc. for more than 30 years and my casual observation is that a much higher fraction of females than males are cross or not strongly dominant visually. For those that have never shot before, I always check prior to them shooting but I'm amazed at the number that have shot before and don't know they are cross dominant, again; I don't have a firm count but have observed this to be true.

·
Administrator
9,169 Posts
I’m wondering what some people think the percentage of female trap shooters are successfully able to shoot with both eyes open? I’ve heard numbers as high as 90% of females must use a form of one-eyed shooting. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Jon Reitz
Phil Kiner does have some data on this and I will send him a PM that there is someone needing the info.

I have been working with a very motivated young female shooter and we have worked both one eye and two and she excels with one eye at this time and I think she is the exception more than the norm.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Eye dominance and shooting - Shooting UK
In young men, eye dominance may not stabilize until the teens. There are also very significant sex differences as mentioned. Unlike men, few women have or develop eye dominance corresponding to their handedness.
Indeed, few women are absolutely dominant in either eye. They usually have indeterminate eye dominance as highlighted, but this is often misdiagnosed as true cross dominance with more misinformed advice typically following, for example, the suggestion to change shoulders – only a sensible option in the context of two-eyed shooting when eye dominance is absolutely or nearly absolutely on the opposite side.
Not only does eye dominance seem to change with age, and differ with the sexes, it is also interesting to note that the distribution of eye-dominance appears to vary with different sports, implying that there may be a learned element, or that certain sports are self selecting.

·
Premium Member
10,606 Posts
I can’t think of an evolutionary reason that women would not have a strong eye dominance, I would suspect that there are some that shoot one eyed that don’t need to.

On the other hand there is certainly something to it since so many of the top lady shooters that I know are either closing or blocking the off eye in some fashion.

·
Registered
12,143 Posts
Most shooters both male and female are right handed shooters. Although I can’t prove it, I read that women are more predominantly right eye dominant.
Not trying to be argumentative but, I'm Pretty sure it is the other way around and most women are left eye dominate. My wife is( although she is a right handed shooter) and most girls she worked with as an NRA shotgun instructor turned out to be that way. Nora Martin -Ross is. A shooter , male or female,who is shoots from one shoulder but is dominant in the other eye has 4 options . Learn to shoot from the other shoulder-- --use a dot or tape over the lens of their shooting glasses --use a blinder sight on the rib to keep the other eye from taking over--or simply close the other eye. Most shooters I have seen use either the Dot/Tape or close the dominant eye. My wife once watched a new shooter (a young lady in her teens) who was struggling to break 4 or 5 targets out of 25. Turned out she was right handed but, left eye dominant . My wife asked the girl's dad if she could try something that might help. When he agreed he put a piece of tape over the girls left glasses lens and the next round the young lady broke 17 targets.

·
Vendor
1,708 Posts
Based on 30 years teaching I estimate the % of female shooters that HAVE to use some form of 1-eye while shooting trap is probably close to 97-98%.
HAVE meaning if they are going to shoot up to their potential.

What is crazy is that several of the top female trap shoot with 2 eyes and I have not figured out if they did anything different or are just the exception to the rule.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Based on 30 years teaching I estimate the % of female shooters that HAVE to use some form of 1-eye while shooting trap is probably close to 97-98%.
97 to 98% are left eye dominant OR neither eye dominant and have to shoot some form of 1-eye. If they are left handed and left eyed couldn't they shoot two eyed? So even the ones that have no dominant eye still need to shoot with one eye and not two? Is that correct Phil. (I can't believe people should shoot with one eye and not two. JUST KIDDING!)

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HAVE meaning if they are going to shoot up to their potential.

What is crazy is that several of the top female trap shoot with 2 eyes and I have not figured out if they did anything different or are just the exception to the rule.
Phil,

Thank you for the input. I didn’t realize it was as high as 97-98%. The number I always remembered was that 90% of female shooters had to use a form of one-eyed shooting due to eye dominance issues.

Jon Reitz

·
Premium Member
3,635 Posts
My daughter is mostly left handed... But she is right eye dominant...
She eats, writes, throws, and just mainly handles stuff like a lefty.
She shoots (hand guns and long guns) and bats right handed.
Maybe ambidextrous would be a good term for her?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
The majority of women I've given shotgun shooting lessons to have been right-handed with either a left master eye or some degree of central dominance. It didn't seem to matter whether they were Brits, Canadians or Americans........at one time it was like being hit by the plague. On the other hand, most of my male clients have been right-handed with a dominant right eye. I've discussed all this with senior academic staff at two British Universities who specialize in eye-related and eye dominance research. To my surprise they tell me there is nothing in the scientific papers that supports the proposition that women are more likely than men to have eye dominance that doesn't match their handedness. If anyone can point to peer reviewed scientific papers that support my observations (and those of others such as Phil Kiner) I'd be most grateful.

1 - 20 of 231 Posts