Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have been through a fitting session and had a stock made through Wenig, I'm interested in what you thought about the process and if the stock was what you thought it would be- if that's the right way to put it. I see a lot of positive comments on here about the crew at Devault and don't doubt their ability to stock a gun, but just want to compare since I'll be looking for to have a stock built over Winter.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had a stock and fitting by Wenig two years ago, and could not be happier. When I got the gun back, the stock was much nicer than I had expected. Totally a great experience. By the way my scores also came up,

Alan

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sounds to me like you have your mind made up, but just want a little negative about Wenig. Well you won't get any. That's there business. Jimmy and Bill will fit you up great and mess with you and the stock until it's dead nuts. I must have put it up a 100 times. Then cut the real stock and start all over again with the fine tune. Then go shoot. It's a lot of money but it's worth the money if you are a serious shooter.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Let's see - I have had a custom stock built by Wenig, DeVault, and Kolar. Out of all 3 of my custom stock builds, I cannot say that one was truly the best. Dennis DeVault makes his stock fit you. If you look long enough at pictures of DeVault stocks, you will see the pattern of fitting....where the grip is, how the comb is shaped, etc. Both Wenig and Kolar built a stock to fit my sloppy mount.

One thing to consider when having a custom stock built - the fitter will need feedback. The stock I had built by Wenig was a tad short for me. It wasn't when I mounted the gun or even shot on their range, but as a tendency when shooting competitive score (real good or real bad) I crawl the stock. It is an aggressive problem that I have tried to work on. Instead of telling Wenig my problem and having them build the stock longer, I figured that I would work on my problem since it was my problem. What I found was no matter how much I practiced in the off-season, I crawled the stock the very first 100 I shot in competition. What that did was push my face past the comb towards tang. Then the comb shredded my cheek. Now I had a bigger problem at the very start of a 1000 target event. If I had told Wenig my issue up front, this problem could have possibly been avoided.

If a fitter tells you that their way of fitting is the best, that they can't build a stock to your mount, tries to change your mount or style - Run! You will be better off finding another fitter.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I haven't made my mind up as to who to build the stock, and I'm not looking for anything specifically negative about Wenig.

Cost wise, they are cheaper than Devault, even after factoring in a flight to there shop whereas I could drive to Canton.

I just don't want to find myself in a situation where I have an issue that would require a return visit to get worked out. In that case, heading to Canton would put those guys over the top.

In the end, I'm just trying to avoid an expensive mistake, or having to spend money twice- if that makes sense.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Jimmy at Wenig's made my stock for one of my Alfermann guns. Absolutely love it and very happy. You will not be disappointed in their work.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
One of The Best...You would Not Be Sorry about Being Part of The Wenig Club. Long Time Customer..Many Stock Sets. Bart Reynolds

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
What kind of money are we talking with a custom fit stock from Wenig? I understand that the type and grade of wood will make a difference in price. Are we talking 3k-4k range for a midrange selection?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Went to the Grand this year and had them fit me up for a new stock. Shot the pattern stock a couple of days, going back in a couple of times to adjust it here or there. When we had it right, they sprayed it and I shot the remainder of the week with it. I left it and my gun with them to take back to the shop to make the real stock, which arrived about 6 weeks later. Perfect. Couldn't be happier, and IMO is the best money I've spent on shooting equipment. The whole crew are nice folks and great to deal with.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have had 2 custom stocks built at DeVault. It was the best money
I ever spent. Call Dennis he will talk to you and help you.
He is a stock building genius. Harlan Campbell is one of the greatest shooters today became great using a Dennis Devault stock. Harlan used to shoot Dennis' mach one shotgun. Harlan's first 100 from 27 yards was shot with a Devault stock. Those custom Harlan Campbell stocks are Dennis' design. Ask Harlan if Dennis builds the best stock.
When you get to Cantan Dennis will have a pattern stock ready for your gun when you get there. I will modify and make a pattern and have you shoot it
with a hot load right out the back door. If there is any pop on your check
he will fix it right there. Then you will go to the range and shoot. The next day you will shoot it again. If it needs to be modified
he will do it. Mine were perfect. you can take the pattern home and shoot it and send it back when you want it built. You will learn more from Dennis in your visit than you learned in your whole life. Look at the work on his website. No body makes a stock like him. the best part is he a down to earth and he and his wife Cindy are the 2 nicest people you will ever meet in your life.
Betterduckshot

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in the Devault club if you lived on the other side of the Us maybe not. Seeing you are in Dennis back yard it would be foolish to go else ware. I went through 2 fittings with Dennis and shot my pattern stock for a season. I suggest you do the same. shoot the pattern stock for a season and across the winter have the finish stock made. I know its ugly but there will be no regrets this way. The second fitting was to remove pressure the stock was placing on my rotator cuff. Told Denise what the issue was he add a little shim shot the gun no more discomfort. I can't say enough good things about Devault industries.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Do either Wenig or Devault have access to a skeet range? I've heard all about them taking guys to shoot trap, but what about a skeet shooter?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Best thing to do is call Dennis. I'm sure he can get you to a skeet field, your fitting may just need scheduled around club events.

On a side note, I ended up visiting Dennis for a pattern stock and it has been some of the best money I have ever spent. A few months after shooting the pattern I switched jobs and didn't get to shoot the gun for a year.
I had lost some weight in the meantime and needed a bit of adjustment. Ran back out and Dennis and the crew true to reputation spent the time to get me back in shape and even went back to the gun club to make sure it was where it needed to be.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I had wood made for a trap gun by the "old" Wenig crew after a fitting at Vandalia in 2005. The work was perfect and the custom stock was actually softer-shooting than the factory stock with a Gracoil recoil reduction/LOP system. Good fit really is the most important facet of shooting a shotgun.

Ed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts