Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The words "homeless" and "Veterans" should not be used in the same sentence...unfortunately there are some of our brothers in arms that have a lot of issues trying to return to a "normal" life at home after tours of combat in Afghanistan, Iraq and even Vietnam. (Check out the website above...)

Here in western North Carolina the Asheville Buncombe County Christian Ministries, ABCCM, has a facility dedicated to the restoration of these men who so honorably served their country. The VRC website link is above. These folks do amazing work with our Vets and many have returned to normal daily life with their families and loved ones. The issue is... more of them are coming home every day from our current conflicts in the near east. They need our help.

Every Christmas my wife Jan and I and a dozen or so of our friends go to the VRC and cook a "all the trimmings" Christmas dinner for the men at the center...all 300+ and their families! We started doing this because the hard working staff at the center was off for Christmas and the Vets were only going to get sandwiches and coffee on Christmas day. We found that totally unacceptable! Each year we raise enough money to feed them and provide a fun Christmas day. We have musicians who come and play and sing Christmas Carols. My business partner from New Zealand sends candy and treats. We have local ladies who bake pies and cakes.

Why am I telling this to you, my friends at TS.com? Frankly, I'm looking for some donations. It costs about $1000 to feed the guys on both Christmas day and New Years day. We cook and serve (and donate money) but if we spread it around a bit and get a little each from a lot of people nobody has to come up with a lot of cash and the Vets really benefit. Your donations are tax deductible and all the money goes directly to feed the Veterans. There are no expenses taken from the money you give, its only used to buy food. If you feel you can make a small contribution of $10 or $20 to this great cause please make out a check to ABCCM-VRQ and put "Christmas Dinner" in the memo line. Mail them to:

Veteran's Restoration Quarters and Transitional Housing 1329 Tunnel Rd Asheville, NC 28805

Thank you for reading my post. I also know the economy has put many fellow shooters in financial difficulty, your prayers for these Veterans are just as important as financial help. I wish all of you a Merry Christmas!

Bob Schultz Target Shotguns, Inc. 800-684-6329

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I copied my post from last year as we are doing the same thing. I only wish you folks could be there with us to share this blessing...we are the ones who see the looks of thanks and get to talk with these men. Best Christmas ever for all of us who help, thanks again for your gifts and don't forget to put CHRISTMAS DINNER in the memo line of your check.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bob, We had a little money left over last year so we had them cook some special food on New Years for the Vets. Thanks again for your help.

Bob

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Since my christmas shopping list has been shortened this year, I would be honored to send a donation. Headed to the Post Office tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Karla & Bernie,

Thank you both for your help. These men wrote a check to each of us to defend our country with everything they had, up to and including their lives. I only wish I could do more for them.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll post pictures of the Christmas dinner. My wife says she's got a Santa hat for me this year...well, Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas!

Thanks for your support!

Bob

·
Registered
621 Posts

Bob, I told the girls that we were going to donate their "BUG-A-SALTS" to the "Homeless VETS" down there and I have been picking salt out of my skin for two hours now, so, I will just send a check. Thank you for all that you and yours do for these men and women and have a Very Nice Holiday. Dave

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave,

I don't blame you a bit... 5 great looking ladies with any kind of guns would convince me too!

Thanks!

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys!

For those of you reading this post the "Christmas Shot Shell Giveaway" will start Dec1. Watch for the post!

Bob

1 - 20 of 57 Posts