Trapshooters Forum banner

Federal using green dot ?

2088 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Barry C. Roach
I had a new paper Federal Premium 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz that didn't fire. Just for my own curiousity,I grabbed my Unloader, and cut it open. To my surprise, the powder was mostly black flakes interspersed with green flakes. It weighed 18.5 grains. I have heard that they don't use the same powder that we do but it sure looked the same as the green dot that I have. Probably a different burning rate.

Gary B.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,717 Posts
Have heard that Fed. uses a lot of Alliant powders, as you state it's probably their own specs for their shells. If memory serves me correctly (doubtful) I seem to remember back in the early 60s when I 1st started shooting clay tgts some of the Feds. & maybe WW had hulls marked "loaded with Red Dot". Anyway I love them papers, wish I could afford to shoot them all the time. Ross Puls

· Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,818 Posts
And....with those hot Fed primers + the trash can sized hulls, it's an excellent choice. If they went to the trouble to build a better hull, say at least as good as the STS, they'd take over the reloading market.

best....mike

· Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't know Federal and Alliant were of the same company. That does make sense now. I know one thing, I just started using green dot and when the rest of my 700X is gone, it will be green dot all the way. Especially for handicap.

Gary B.

· Registered
10,622 Posts
The fact that they are divisions of the same company hasn't always been so. They have, however, used RD and GD when it was Hercules.

I'm sure Federal has used other powder brands as well. Probably, a house brand of Dupont's PB ... but you could never get Federal to say so. I don't blame them. I'd keep my recipes secret too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.