Trapshooters Forum banner

Federal Top Guns vs Estate Target Loads

11689 Views 15 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  trap72
Is there any difference between them? I have cut both apart and can not see any. Your opinions please.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
13,547 Posts
According to a shooting mag I read several years back the Estates had 5-6% antimony in there shot and the Top Guns had only 3%. I do not know if they are still that way today. Maybe you could run some kind of hardness test on the shot and let us know??? Break=em all. JEff

· Registered
10,622 Posts
Pull and Mark. That was b4 Federal's parent co. bought them. They have the most varied (in size) shot I've seen but they still break hcp targets out of my barrels very well. I'm not afraid to take either to the line in competition.

As far as antimony, I haven't checked them but I'll bet it varies as well.

· Registered
13,547 Posts
Setterman, I've cut open Rio's and Keman's as well. The hulls are both Cheddites with the same exact primers,powder, and wads, the shot looks the same as well. But even the factory says the Rio's are 3% and the Kemans are at lest 5%. I've never tried testing any shot antimony, Have you??? I'd trust a independant company to give better stat's than a "In House" factory rep. like Rio and Keman. But the mag. had theirs tested as well, and verified the same results as these two advertise. just where are you getting your info from??? Break-em all. Jeff

· Registered
3,995 Posts
I haven't noticed any real difference between the two shells as far as performance and patterning. I can't say anything about shot hardness or antimony content, since I have no real data either way. The older Estates in the Cheddite Hulls were decent, but now that they are made by Federal, who knows. The shot does seem a bit inconsistent in both loads, so I don't have the greatest confidence that the size or quality of shot is the best. I can say that I never had one not go off and never had a punky sounding load of either. I have had a few that missed the targets, but who knows what was at fault there. :)

· Registered
15,172 Posts
Jeff, 2 years ago, I shot doubles with a Federal factory rep at the Ohio State shoot. He was shooting the top guns. I asked him about the Estates. He said they are the same load, made on the same equipment with different dye in the hull color, and different printing. I didn't ask him about the shot hardness.

He said they use various mixtures of proprietary powders, which I think means they mix left over powders from primary runs and use it in the cheaper loads so they can get rid of "batches" of powder after a shell run.

I would expect them to mix different batches of shot too so they can get rid of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.