Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with Federal Top Gun shells?

These are in the blue box, and are yellow plastic,

Three dram, 7 1/2 or 8.

Do they shoot well in cold weather?

What have you found them selling for?

Worth buying?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I haven't had any problems with Three dram, but myself and a few other shooters have been having on an off problems with 2 3/4 dram (cold weather or not). Not surprised when I get one with a light powder drop.

$6 to $7 a box. I don't reload them as can always pick up for free Remington Gun Clubs at numerous clubs.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
I've shot several thousand of them in red, pink, white and blue and they are the best and most reliable economy shell I have ever used. Never saw a yellow 12ga Top Gun. $58.99/flat on sale.

-Gary

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My mistake, the man opened a box of 20 ga. for me to look at, and my brain froze.

He did not have a flat of 12 ga. open, so I could not see them.

Being old has it's drawbacks.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have shot many of these in pink and the red/white & blue wounded warrior shells and have never had a misfire. I have bought them as low as $4.95, but now they are mor likely to be $5.49. I have bought a few as high as six dollars per box. Martinpicker

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
The Top Gun case is a straight wall/steel rimed case with a paper base wad. They are good for a small number of reloads. I use them for my throw away case when I don't want to mess with the hulls.

They sell for around $5 to $5.50 a box in my neck of the woods. Federal uses the same case and wad for the shell packs at Wal-Mart. After cutting both open, Federal seems to put better shot in the Top Guns than the Wal-mart shells.

Ajax

·
Registered
768 Posts
Myself and another Model 12 shooter have had issues with Federals, Top Guns and the ones from the 100-packs from Wal-Mart. We would each have 2 or 3 in a box that wouldn't go off when we pulled the trigger. The primers were always struck, but not deep enough. We think it was a manufacturing error with the primer seated too far into the base of the shell. It's really frustrating being up on the line and you call for the bird, then pull the trigger and your gun just goes "click." It starts to get in your head, not knowing for sure if the shell is going to go off the next time or not. I've shot thousands of Cheddite primers and never had a problem with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts