Federal Top Gun??? | Trap Shooters Forum

Federal Top Gun???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by murphranch, Jul 31, 2020 at 6:37 PM.

1. murphranch

murphranch Well-Known Member

Had a big surprise today from a guy I know of but do not know personally. Started with a random phone call I almost didn't answer but did anyway. This man asked me if I was coaching or helping the local kids 4-H shooting club. I confirmed that and ask to meet with me because he had a donation to give to the club. 45 minutes later I meet this guy and introduce myself. He went to the same school as I did but about 20 years earlier, moved away, became successful and now has moved back to his families land to retire. He said he has shot both trap and skeet off and on his whole life and considered it like his family because he never married or had children and now that he's retired he would like to donate 10 cases of 12 gauge and 10 cases of 20 gauge shells to us. They are all Federal Top Gun. He asked if it would be okay to meet the kids someday at practice. I told him as long as wasn't a registered kiddie diddler or had any felonies it would ok but we would have to talk about the shells. I explained to him that we are supposed to only shoot what the state sends us-liability, liability, liability, and that I'm pretty sure they have a deal with Winchester because that's all I've ever seen. We kinda talked over a few options that may have been on either side of legal as what to do. He tells me to take all 20 cases and figure something out. I looked at the address label and they all have his name on them. They came from Acusport Corporation in Bellefontaine Ohio and have the paid receipt with them so I know they aren't stolen or hot. My questions are= are they decent shells (pros/cons) and what would you do to be able to let the kids get the good out of such a generous gift (shoot, shovel, shut up)? I've pondered not pushing the send button several times on this thread and then just have the kids burn through them. Having a conscious sucks! I used to not think or give a shit about stuff like this but I owe it to this man who went out of his way to get ahold of me and do this for the kids. I also think he might be doing this for himself as well. Having no wife, kids or extended family and moving back to a place where he was raised but is now a stranger it might be something for him to be involved in and help reacquaint him self with the locals. I did a quick little background check and even made a few phone calls and the man did rather well for himself starting out roughnecking on a drilling rig to owning 3 oil companies in the Oklahoma panhandle, South Dakota and West Texas that he sold when oil was at $130 a barrel. Any suggestions?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

GoldGuy and wahtsamoie thanked this.
  2. Chief 701

Chief 701 Well-Known Member

Well Murph I don’t see any problems with using the shells. I help with 4 H kids down here and we use just about any brand as long as it’s ATA legal. I’ve donated out of my hip pocket and other folks have done the same. New shells only, no reloads.

460Ford, murphranch and grizquad thanked this.
  3. jjhess

jjhess TS Supporters TS Supporters Verified Youth Coach/Director

have the kids shoot them up for practice if you believe you have to shoot the state supplied winchesters. Awesome to get good donations like that for the kids

GoldGuy, 460Ford and murphranch thanked this.
  4. SanRemo32

SanRemo32 Active Member

I donate cases of Federal Top Guns each year to the youth shooting coach in my area. I have never had a question or a problem doing so.

murphranch and JACK thanked this.
  5. lhedrick1

lhedrick1 Well-Known Member

Top Guns are a hell of a shell. I would think the 7 1/2s @1145 would be suitable back to the 24 yard line. They are coal burners at the 16. If its a legality issue, maybe check with your contact with the state? I don't see how a parent/coach/any joe blow couldnt donate shells for your cause.

SanRemo32 and murphranch thanked this.
  6. o-hale

o-hale Well-Known Member

I think it was a wonderful gesture on his part and surely there is some way the kids can get a benefit from them. Wishing you good luck in your endeavor to find the answer.

murphranch thanked this.
  7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Use them for 'practice' shooting - stick with the Winchesters for competition.

That or butcher a steer, and invite all the TS.com members to come for a BBQ & trap shoot at your place... we'll bring our own beer.

GoldGuy, SecondChance, phatkaw and 2 others thanked this.
  8. John Sandell

John Sandell Well-Known Member

Lucky you. Shoot em up.

murphranch thanked this.
  9. Henry winn

Henry winn Well-Known Member

We got our start in 4 h and know full well about the rules and how generous the states can be helping the kids.
    The shells are as good as any mid grade brand .
    To keep everything legit you could let the parents shoot them or sell them and spend the money on the kids.
    The best thing you can do is to let the parents shoot some at the end of practice.
    When the kids start having openings in the squads let parents shoot .
    It keeps um coming back.
    Henry

10. Troutbum60

Troutbum60 Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be a problem using the Top Guns. I have personally shot them with no issues. As others have said, let the kids use them for practice rounds. Some youth programs even allow kids to shoot reloads. I wouldn't think your 4-H administrators would have an issue with a reputable factory load.

murphranch thanked this.
  11. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Active Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

Our high school team shoots over a hundred cases of top guns a year, they are a fine shell. Actually they are preferred by most of the kids, I happen to like Winchester AA light 8s but my 17 yr old son shoots top guns.
    Shoot them with confidence!

12. murphranch

murphranch Well-Known Member

Just got off the phone with our regional extension nazi and a gentlemen on the land grant board of regents at OSU. I think I just got someone’s nuts in a vise. GGGGRRRRRRR! When I asked the regional man about the situation he told me we must shoot the Winchester state supplied shells only. He had a pissy attitude about the whole ordeal and asked if I did not remember that part of the training weekend. I just apologized and left it that. When I finally got a cell number and bugged the Big Man on Campus at OSU I started our convo by apologizing for calling on a Friday evening and told him the situation. He got a little quite and then he said “that greedy SOB. The only reason he’s pulling that crap is because he is the Winchester rep for the whole state and he gets commission for every shell he moves to the 4-H program and the whole damn state is using Winchester. Dont worry, I’ll take care of it for you.” He then apologized to me and told me to let the kids shoot them up. We had a nice visit after that and gave him the mans name and number who was gracious enough pay it forward for the kids. Thanks guys for advice and helping get this straightened out. Our regional extension agent had every chance to make a good first impression. He blew it and I’ll never give him a second chance to change my mind.
    Tron I’m thinking lawsuit. Any help from you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neil A., GoldGuy, TC and 5 others thanked this.
  13. texaswebbshooter

texaswebbshooter Member

For the last few years Federal Top Guns is all I have been shooting for singles doubles and caps.They are one good shell for the price.

14. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I bet the land grant guy likes cats...

Be careful about retaining Tron as your legal counsel - he is a cat person.

Is the backhoe up and running??

murphranch thanked this.
  15. nitro27man

nitro27man Well-Known Member

Glad you got to the BMOC, Murph! Nothing worse than someone pushing a product for their own personal gain. Winchester has been doing such for a long time. And the Regional guy sounds like the U.S. Congress; always out for themselves.

Scott Hanes

Broncofan and murphranch thanked this.
  16. phatkaw

phatkaw Well-Known Member

If and when you talk to the oil guy again tell him that a couple thousand guys from TS.com said “thank you!”...

I’m glad you got a hold of the ‘Head Cheese‘ and it worked out for you and the kids!

JussBad, Neil A., GoldGuy and 7 others thanked this.
  17. Adamf41

Adamf41 Well-Known Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

Are youth team is shooting Top Gun this year, very good shells.

Also the All American Captain is shooting Top Gun for singles and doubles all the time, so I would say they work!

murphranch thanked this.
  18. wahtsamoie

wahtsamoie Active Member

I was taught as a child to not look a gift horse in the mouth! Take them and let the kids shoot them.

GoldGuy, SanRemo32 and murphranch thanked this.
  19. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

As per phatkaw----above I'll bet at least couple thousand.

murphranch thanked this.
  20. Cowboy Rick

Cowboy Rick Well-Known Member

Take a GROUP PICTURE of all your kids ...have them sign it as a THANK YOU
    note to your new OIL BARON FRIEND (SUITABLE FOR FRAMING) !!!
    In my opinion....the Top Gun Shells are ONLY surpassed by AA & STS !!!