Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, has anyone had problems with the deep primers of the Federal Top Gun shotshells ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
No, they are pretty good for cheaper shell. They always go bang but I have seen them stick in some guns after fired. They do tend to kick hard for a 1200 fps shell.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My kids are working through 8 flats of the 1 oz 1180 Top Guns for practice and there haven’t been any issues so far (3 flats gone). Both kids shoot Brownings.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Never had a problem only shoot signals with my Remington 11-87 I shoot 7/8 , 2 3/4 1200 #8 and 2 3/4 1180 # 8. don't know how the cycle because don't shot doubles but they shoot fine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Never had issue with deep primers but IMO the primers are harder than some shells including the Remington Gun Clubs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I ordered 20 flats of 3drm this winter of new stock (new boxes, brass washed casings) that my Perazzi wouldn't fire consistently. Never had an issue with Top Guns in the past. I replaced hammer springs, cleaned and inspected the firing pins/springs, still had misfires, up to 4 in a box. Everything else I shot worked fine, Remington, Clever, Winchester, Aquilla all went off without a misfire. Sold 18 flats for less than I paid for them to a shooter with a Kolar. First time I have ever lost a target for fail to fire violation. Bought Gun Clubs, at least they go off when I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Recently, has anyone had problems with the deep primers of the Federal Top Gun shotshells ?
You bet! I'll never buy them again. I bought a flat a while ago, and in the first box only six went bang. When looking at the primers, there was a slight dimple in each one. I laid a straight edge across the ones that went off and found that the primer face was just barely below the straight edge. The ones that didn't go off showed a definite cupping of the base of the shell, and the primer was clearly low in the base. Luckily, a friend had an extra flat he could lend me so I could continue shooting.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I will buy them for practice. My gun has little trouble with them. I have seen a lot of Brownings (mostly over/under) that get FTF from the deep primers.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have bought over 20 flats in different variations in the past few months. I have been shooting them in two different Brownings. Never had one fail to fire.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I recently acquired some and so far they have shot well. They do have some thump to them that I did not experience on previous Top Gun shells.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Personally no, but the one country club near me got a pallet with deep primers and the members are having issues

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
You bet! I'll never buy them again. I bought a flat a while ago, and in the first box only six went bang. When looking at the primers, there was a slight dimple in each one. I laid a straight edge across the ones that went off and found that the primer face was just barely below the straight edge. The ones that didn't go off showed a definite cupping of the base of the shell, and the primer was clearly low in the base. Luckily, a friend had an extra flat he could lend me so I could continue shooting.
Looking at the anvil part of a fired shell will tell you nothing . Upon firing the anvil is set back flush against the face of the receiver .

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just shot 200 last eve, for the firt time, use some points up from Cabelas, they performed well in my Browning 725, about 8 months old and I did like there results, 7.5, 1 1/8, 1200fps
$58.97 case FREE SHIP TOO

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Blaser seems to be one that has problems with them,then after a new pin was installed it's better but now having trouble piercing primers on challenger shells,both Berettas (DT-10 & 692) and the Ljutic haven't had any issues at all. Jerry

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Every mass produced product has periodic QC problems. I have purchased flats of AA's where 2 to 5 shells out of each box would not chamber because they had bulges in them. Last week I was shooting a round of trap and one of the Gun Club shells I was using had no shot in it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts