Trapshooters Forum banner

Federal top gun with plastic base

3367 16
I have been loading Top Guns with the internal paper base for a long time with good success. I have accumulated a number of hulls that now have the white pastic base instead of a paper base and want to start reloading them. I will be using these for trap shooting. I want the load to use 1 1/8 once of lead, Federal 209A primers, and 700x powder. I want these to be close to 1150 fps.

From searching prior theads, I understand the recommended wad to use with these hulls is CB6118 but I can't find any reloading data for these wads using 700x powder. In the old hulls with the paper base, I used 17 grains of 700x. Will that work with these hulls to achieve what I am after?
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
I had poor dished crimps loading the new Top Gun white plastic base wad hulls with CB2100 (12SO) wads that I have loaded for a very long time in the fiber basewad Federal hulls.
Used the CB6100 1oz wad with 1 oz of #8 shot and 18.0 gr Clay Dot. They crimped very nicely with only a wad starter adjustment on an RCBS Grand. This wad is slightly longer than the CB2100.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
I had poor dished crimps loading the new Top Gun white plastic base wad hulls with CB2100 (12SO) wads that I have loaded for a very long time in the fiber basewad Federal hulls.
Used the CB6100 1oz wad with 1 oz of #8 shot and 18.0 gr Clay Dot. They crimped very nicely with only a wad starter adjustment on an RCBS Grand. This wad is slightly longer than the CB2100.
This is my bucket load recipe I use for singles but I use 18gr IMR Red. Crimps like factory and good patterns. 12S0 is too short.

· Registered
70 Posts
I have been loading Top Guns with the internal paper base for a long time with good success. I have accumulated a number of hulls that now have the white pastic base instead of a paper base and want to start reloading them. I will be using these for trap shooting. I want the load to use 1 1/8 once of lead, Federal 209A primers, and 700x powder. I want these to be close to 1150 fps.

From searching prior theads, I understand the recommended wad to use with these hulls is CB6118 but I can't find any reloading data for these wads using 700x powder. In the old hulls with the paper base, I used 17 grains of 700x. Will that work with these hulls to achieve what I am after?
Wayne U, I really didn't do much to answer your questions on CB6118 and 700X. We don"t load many 1 1/8 oz loads but I can tell you that in the new Top Guns the CB6118 crimps really nicely with 18.4 gr Clay Dot.
My wife shoots the factory Federal 3 dram Field and Target (when available) at second doubles shot. She says our reloaded 1 1/8 load is harder on the shoulder than the factory 3 dram. That load should have been somewhere over 1145 fps according to Claybuster data but not up to 3 drammers. I dunno..................

· Registered
182 Posts
I have loaded the older fiber base wad style & they loaded & crimped well. But I stopped loaded them over concerns of the base wads blowing out & lodging in the barrel causing issues. That's why I never load any hull other than the one-piece hulls i.e. AA's, STS's. etc. I saw a can full of these new white plastic base wad Top Gun hulls this last week at a club and was wondering is this new design a compression formed 1 piece or is it a separate base wad type that I try to stay away from? Anyone know?

· Registered
57 Posts
Here is 700-x load data from Federal in their TopGun load. It’s using the 12s3 wad,

Of course you should always stick with published data, but if your getting a dish using the 12s3/12s0 the 6118 wad corrects that and is made for straight wall hulls

Attachments

· Registered
17,357 Posts
Powder density is a factor here, these hulls have slightly more internal volume compared to the rolled cardboard base wad version.
The old top guns load fine with published data, and FWIW I never saw them lose a base wad. what happens is it breaks up and little pieces get lost and the volume increases.
I toss them before that happens, 2-3 loads.

HM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.