Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been loading the plastic basewad top gun hulls for a month or so. These hulls have the silver metal base to them. I had a bunch of the brass washed metal based hulls so I thought I would give them a try. My original load was

Cheddite primer
17.5 700x
Cb6100-12
15/16 oz shot

This made good crimps with the silver based hulls. However when I started loading the brass washed hulls the crimp was a little dished so I started using a true 1 oz load on a adjustable charge bar.
Some of these hulls have a oversized primer pocket and some do not, however using the Cheddite primers solves this problem in my experience.

Just thought I’d post this for someone who might be struggling with loading these hulls.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Inspect the base a little more closely to see if they are the same. You may have some of the Rio made Federal Hulls. They are taller hull and use a larger primer.
Here is a picture to help out.
The hull on the left is Rio made Federal hull (Walmart Special - Not a Top Gun) that I have reloaded using a FIO 616 primer no problems at all. The one on the right is Federal Top Gun once fired.
This is the reason I use FIO 616 primers in my cheapo Federal Hulls.

Shoot well.

Musical instrument Tin Cylinder Wood Auto part

· Registered
1,159 Posts
If you are using the CB6100 wads, its going to take more powder to get the pressures to an acceptable, clean burning level. Below is a picture of Test Results done last summer.
19.1 grains of Clays only produced 7800 PSI.

Shoot Well.

Handwriting Font Material property Parallel Pattern

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.