Trapshooters Forum banner

Federal Top Gun Hulls & Cheddite Primers

2574 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  ezz555
Hi gentlemen. I picked up some Cheddite primers and have run into an issue with primer seating. Here's what I have: Mec 8567N Grabber, Federal Top Gun hulls and Cheddite primers. I understand that the Cheddites are larger than the Federal primers. I have also found that the Cheddite primers seat quite well in Winchester AA hulls without adjusting anything.

This afternoon I made another attempt with the Federal Hulls and Cheddites and this time I adjusted the reprime tube lower over several attempts with the tube about 3/16" lower than when I started. Still no luck. It looks like about every 3rd primer will not seat in the Federal Hulls. A few might be proud by 1/32" and some by 1/16". I still have plenty of flex in the seating spring.

I'm not ready to give up and I really think I may not understand the adjustments needed to fully seat these primers. Which brings up another question - is there just a shotshell priming tool out there that might be of help to me.

Thanks.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Hi gentlemen. I picked up some Cheddite primers and have run into an issue with primer seating. Here's what I have: Mec 8567N Grabber, Federal Top Gun hulls and Cheddite primers. I understand that the Cheddites are larger than the Federal primers. I have also found that the Cheddite primers seat quite well in Winchester AA hulls without adjusting anything.

This afternoon I made another attempt with the Federal Hulls and Cheddites and this time I adjusted the reprime tube lower over several attempts with the tube about 3/16" lower than when I started. Still no luck. It looks like about every 3rd primer will not seat in the Federal Hulls. A few might be proud by 1/32" and some by 1/16". I still have plenty of flex in the seating spring.

I'm not ready to give up and I really think I may not understand the adjustments needed to fully seat these primers. Which brings up another question - is there just a shotshell priming tool out there that might be of help to me.

Thanks.
I recently started loading federal hulls and cheddite primers on a 8567N as well and had to adjust the powder tube down quite a bit for it to seat properly. After making sure it worked by running several hulls through the second station it works just fine now and I have loaded almost 2 flats of shells with the Cheddite primers in federal/estate hulls

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recently started loading federal hulls and cheddite primers on a 8567N as well and had to adjust the powder tube down quite a bit for it to seat properly. After making sure it worked by running several hulls through the second station it works just fine now and I have loaded almost 2 flats of shells with the Cheddite primers in federal/estate hulls
Thanks for the heavy lifting. I wasn't real sure just how far I could lower that tube. I apparently hadn't gone far enough with it.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
The inside base of a Top Gun hull is really low. (I an referring to the white plastic base hulls) That is why you usually need to use a CB 6100 or CB6118 wad to fill up the extra space. Keep dropping the tube and it will seat correctly.
I had the same problem when I first started loading Top Guns. The very first shell hung up in the press and would not rotate. I tried to seat the primer using a 600 Jr and it would seat it properly. Finally adjusted the tube down on the 9000 and they run great now. BTW, I did not have to raise it to get my Rem hulls to run properly.

Good Luck.

· Registered
673 Posts
I have had the same problem recently with Federal hulls on a PW and have not done a complete study but was left with the opinion that it is not just an adjustment issue. It appears that Federal has been switching primers and base wads around on their lower end shells and I had a mix. Some of the hulls had plastic base wads that looked more like Cheddite than GM and clearly some of them were using some kind of primer other than a classic Fed 209A. To make a long story short, I experienced intermittent poor crimps and occasional high primers. I suspect a loose primer fit and when the powder was compressed in the crimping process, it pushes some primers out a bit. I gave up and only load Federal GM and will not save anything but. Glad to hear some Guys have adjusted their way out of this issue.

· Registered
2,393 Posts
Thanks for the heavy lifting. I wasn't real sure just how far I could lower that tube. I apparently hadn't gone far enough with it.
Mec will tell you to take the donut and spring off of the seating assembly and just stand the post in it's usual position and bring the machine to the bottom of it's stroke. Lower the tube down from there just so they don't touch. The tube is on a spring so it moves upward so as not to damage anything with the machine set this way.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The inside base of a Top Gun hull is really low. (I an referring to the white plastic base hulls) That is why you usually need to use a CB 6100 or CB6118 wad to fill up the extra space. Keep dropping the tube and it will seat correctly.
I had the same problem when I first started loading Top Guns. The very first shell hung up in the press and would not rotate. I tried to seat the primer using a 600 Jr and it would seat it properly. Finally adjusted the tube down on the 9000 and they run great now. BTW, I did not have to raise it to get my Rem hulls to run properly.

Good Luck.
birk9 - That CH6100-12 is exactly the wad I was going to use. I was pretty sure I had to drop that tube. I just didn't know how far I could actually drop the tube.

Thanks.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mec will tell you to take the donut and spring off of the seating assembly and just stand the post in it's usual position and bring the machine to the bottom of it's stroke. Lower the tube down from there just so they don't touch. The tube is on a spring so it moves upward so as not to damage anything with the machine set this way.
Well I didn't know that and it looks like an easy way to set it up. Now just one more question. I made a witness mark on the tube before I started moving it around. When I set the press up for these Federal hulls, will I have to return the press to that witness mark for Winchester AA hulls or do you think it will be ok as is. Not an issue either way just curious.

· Registered
2,393 Posts
Well I didn't know that and it looks like an easy way to set it up. Now just one more question. I made a witness mark on the tube before I started moving it around. When I set the press up for these Federal hulls, will I have to return the press to that witness mark for Winchester AA hulls or do you think it will be ok as is. Not an issue either way just curious.
I don't mess with mine. Now if you would be talking about the shot drop tube that establishes the wad seating depth that witness mark becomes more important.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.