Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Federal Target Loads or Rio

My local Gander Mtn. has both the same price (Federal Target Loads or Rio Target loads). Is one "better" than the other. I'm not a reloader so these are going right into the trash can.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you have the good fortune to buy Rio's, do it...don't question it...buy as many as they will allow! If nothin' else, ya don't have to smell the Fed's after every shot...Tim

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
You guys are funny! He is asking whether to buy rio's or the Federal top guns and the next thing you know you are sniffing fed papers! I suspect they may cost a little more than the rios! Tom Rhoads

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I shoot a lot of Top Gun Federal shells and have yet to have a complaint about them. Rio's ... not so much and I can get Rio's for slightly less $ than the Top Guns.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
If you have ever taken them apart and shot them over a chronograph. You would buy the Federals.

Ajax

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes they are manufactured in TN., and I like the way Rio's #8 1oz. take clays apart! 1210 and 1280fps. I don't play with chronographs...I trust what's in the box.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have personally had extraction problems from repeaters (pumps and autos) with Rios. The 'brass' swollen up so hard into the chamber that the gun had to be taken apart, repeatedly. No problem with my break-action guns though. On the same day, I grabbed a box of Federal Top Guns and had zero issues in the same gun.

I searched the internet and I'm not the first person to have that problem. I have two more cases of Rios and debating whether to return them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
ou.3200 Consistent how? Fed's go boom when you pull the trigger and the Rio's don't...or you break the bird with Fed's and miss with Rio's... Consistent how or what...just curious...Tim

·
Registered
15,903 Posts
54.99 plus tax for the Herters flats @ Cabelas. That is the new standard for low price 12 ga target ammo.

Is there a better deal out there at present? I've not seen it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Maybe this info will help for a tie-breaker......1. A few years back, Federal made a Pink Hulled trap load and donated money to Breast Cancer Charities for every flat that they sold. 2. A year later they made trap loads in Red white and blue hulls and donated money to the Wounded Warrior Program for every flat sold. Everything else created equal....I vote for Federal, I'm just sayin'.......Uncle Sam, Pa.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Federal still sells the Pink shells. Not sure if that is old stock or not. Dick's sporting goods in Kansas City has the 1oz Rios for 5.49 a box and if you use the $10.00 coupons you can get a case for about $48.00 including tax. I have both but would buy the Federals if they were the same price.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Prettywood - Rios - weak off-sounding loads at various times. Some were in cold weather due to wads fracturing in the cold weather. Wads were recovered from fresh snow on the ground. Have observed new boxes opened with only 24 shells inside. Numerous other shooters experienced the weak loads and also the Rio hulls sticking in their chambers. This winter league one shooter had 6 Rios from one box fail to fire even though each primer was hit hard. Rio may have corrected some of this but I wouldn't count on it.

I have used Federal Top Guns and similar Federal loads over several years and never experienced any such problems.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts