Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe Federal has gone to a different primer (Cheddite maybe) in their new, cheaper 12 gauge shotshells they recently came out with. My question is, what did they do with their Federal Top Gun shells as far as primers go? I thought they were going to remain the same, but today I noticed what looked like a completely different primer.

Thanks.
Jon Reitz

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Federal probably finally figured out what we learned years ago - we can buy Cheddite/Noble Sports cheaper than their product. I can get 5,000 Noble Sport for $100.00, can't touch the name brands for that price. Colonel

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just bought 2,000 Federal 209 primers. A guy told me they are hard and will damage firing pins. I'm reloading the paper shells and love them. Guess I'll find out the hard way.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
18 Grs, of o'l Green Dot with a 1 oz. load of # 8s will break any target on the field and is pretty easy on the shoulder!
I just bought 2,000 Federal 209 primers. A guy told me they are hard and will damage firing pins. I'm reloading the paper shells and love them. Guess I'll find out the hard way.
Sorry, but that's not so. Federal 209A primers are not hard. Noble Sport are.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
They are using their retail primer that they sell to us reloaders. It is still a federal primer.
The new Wally World shell does not contain a Federal primer.

Oh, and how did he test them? I use quite a few and have for years and can't remember the need to replace a firing pin.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Any Federal or Estate shell with a plastic base wad is a Cheddite shell and uses the larger primer. If the shell has a Paper base wad it is American made and uses the standard sized 209 primer. Field and Target shells can be either as I have seen both.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any Federal or Estate shell with a plastic base wad is a Cheddite shell and uses the larger primer. If the shell has a Paper base wad it is American made and uses the standard sized 209 primer. Field and Target shells can be either as I have seen both.
That's interesting. Has anyone seen a different primer in their Top Gun shells lately?

Jon Reitz

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I've not seen any changes in either the Top Guns or the red and yellow box Estates. To me, it seems to be the same primer it's always been. I've noticed that the color changes at times between a steel and a bronze color, but it's not the typical flat bottomed primer in the Euro shells.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The new Wally World shell does not contain a Federal primer.

Oh, and how did he test them? I use quite a few and have for years and can't remember the need to replace a firing pin.
I'm sure no one he got his info from tested anything. Typical local gun club " knowledge". I'm planning on using Federal 209A's on several thousand once shot papers a friend gave me. So far they are working great. A little less recoil, good patterns.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
How about the primers in the new Federal Grand white hulls ? The same primer that they use in the regular Gold Medals ?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The new Federal Grand.... White hulls have a..... steel base....don't go through a reloader very well...also primer seating can be rough. If you reload I wouldn't purchase them.

·
Registered
9,126 Posts
The older Multi purpose WalMart 4 packs were the Top Gun style hull with a paper base wad. The new ones they are selling now "Field and Clay- Field and Target " or something like that ?? are a plastic base wad and are a Euro Trash metric hull, that uses an over sized European metric diam. primer and has a slightly larger internal diam. I don't know if Federal makes them in a plant overseas or what but they are different! If you try loading them with a regular Fed. 209 sized primer it will just fall out! You have to use one of the slightly oversized European metric primers. I loaded the Fed. 4 packs hulls for YEARS without a hiccup. I tried ONE BOX of the new Euro Trash hulls that come in the Federal 4 packs now loaded with US sized wads and got 5 weak shells and 4 complete bloopers! I then used some of the oversized wads made by Claybuster which are especially for the European hulls and they worked ok, but as I said you MUST use an oversized European primer in the hulls! Grumpy you can load regular Federal 209 sized in Federal PAPERS ALL DAY LONG but, THOSE Hulls are not made in Europe and are NOT oversized like the newer Wally World Federal 4 packs!

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
not to worry Grumpy, I wouldn't put much stock in that statement you heard, great primers. Dennis

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
209 (not many of those left) or (newer) 209A? Either way excellent primers, no worries. The newer 209A are supposedly a little hotter so check your data. The "guy" who told you that got his info from ??????? Ross Puls

1 - 19 of 19 Posts