Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
Does anyone know what primers are in top gun loads? A couple months ago, some shooters at the club were having trouble with their firing pins punching the primers; shells would not fire even after being struck twice. I usually shoot Rio target loads but bought a few cases of top guns to try them in my Bt-99. Hoping I get good strikes on the primers.
Anyone else had bad top gun loads recently? Mind you these are factory shells.. Not reloads!
Thanks,

-ithaca

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
the ones that I have shot and that we used with the youth program I help with all appear to be a federal 209A primer, don't know that for absolute but that is what they look like to me.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the ones that I have shot and that we used with the youth program I help with all appear to be a federal 209A primer, don't know that for absolute but that is what they look like to me.
Any FTF's in that batch of shells that you know of? We may have just gotten a bad batch. Probably 4-5 shooters were having issues FTF.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I have seen nothing but Fed 209A'S in a true Top Gun or the Federal made Estates.

If they were the Estate's that Federal is importing, they are Cheditte and a number of guys at our club have had trouble with them.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen nothing but Fed 209A'S in a true Top Gun or the Federal made Estates.

If they were the Estate's that Federal is importing, they are Cheditte and a number of guys at are our club have had trouble with them.
Same with our club. Cheddite primers in challenger shells. A couple guys have chipped firing pins from these I believe.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Any FTF's in that batch of shells that you know of? We may have just gotten a bad batch. Probably 4-5 shooters were having issues FTF.
not to date

that being said, I have seen on occasion where the primer face appears to be set a little farther down into the primer and some shotguns with shorter pins may not set it off.

also if the base of the hull is not flat, maybe concave a little in shape, that would set it a little farther away too.

a 525 sporting clays gun I have will on occasion not fire a shell in the bottom barrel, but does on the top, and I think it is due to the fireing pin being marginally long enough. I don't use that particular gun very often. I should have the pins and springs in it changed out and then really should sell it to someone who would be able to put it to good use. but that is a whole other story.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I bought a flat of Top Guns last spring, to shoot at sporting clays. Out of the first box, only six went bang! The primers were struck, but very lightly, and on closer examination, the primers in most cases were set well below the face of the base, with several shells having quite a dish to the base. I have since refused to shoot Federal Top Guns, as there are too many options available which have better quality control.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I literally have gone thru 10 flats of Top Gun shells in the past 7-8 months and I have (KNOCK ON WOOD) never had one fail to fire. The only time I have pulled the trigger and the gun didn't go BANG was when I forgot to put the darn shell in...LOL. I have used the regular Top Guns and the Red White & Blue Versions with never a problem.

Reap

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have had different issues with Top Gun shells. Recently there have been a lot of "distorted" shells. Couldn't even push them into my Red Label. I have had a few that did not go off in my 90 T. Primer hit, but, not deep enough. Tried them a second time and they fired. One of the guys at the club said he checked some with a straight edge and feeler gauges. Depth varied quite a bit. I was buying them because they were cheap. Now the quality control issues are making me hesitate to buy more.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I literally have gone thru 10 flats of Top Gun shells in the past 7-8 months and I have (KNOCK ON WOOD) never had one fail to fire. The only time I have pulled the trigger and the gun didn't go BANG was when I forgot to put the darn shell in...LOL. I have used the regular Top Guns and the Red White & Blue Versions with never a problem.

Reap
You use an 1100 comp. synthetic?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have had different issues with Top Gun shells. Recently there have been a lot of "distorted" shells. Couldn't even push them into my Red Label. I have had a few that did not go off in my 90 T. Primer hit, but, not deep enough. Tried them a second time and they fired. One of the guys at the club said he checked some with a straight edge and feeler gauges. Depth varied quite a bit. I was buying them because they were cheap. Now the quality control issues are making me hesitate to buy more.
Dang; just bought 4 cases. Hope there are no issues... :11:

·
Registered
531 Posts
You use an 1100 comp. synthetic?
No Sir....I have a FN SC1 Over Under

But my buddy has an 1100 comp. synthetic and it has no problems either as well as My Beretta 391...no problems.

But literally 10 flats thru the over/under with no problems. I guess from the sounds of things I have gotten lucky, I dont know but this has been my experience with top guns. Hell I have even just started reloading the hulls and haven't had any problems there either. The hulls load up pretty nicely!

Reap

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No Sir....I have a FN SC1 Over Under

But my buddy has an 1100 comp. synthetic and it has no problems either as well as My Beretta 391...no problems.

But literally 10 flats thru the over/under with no problems. I guess from the sounds of things I have gotten lucky, I dont know but this has been my experience with top guns. Hell I have even just started reloading the hulls and haven't had any problems there either. The hulls load up pretty nicely!

Reap
That's good to hear; at least that gives me some shred of hope with them..! I haven't yet had troubles, only some buddies with field guns, don't know if that makes a difference though. I don't even use my 1100 comp. synthetic really anymore, good entry gun for my brother-in law to use. Can't bring myself to selling it though. I'd like to customize my Bt-99 with new wood & adj. butt pad, but the funds aren't there atm. Maybe in the future, but for now it shoots just fine for me! I've never heard of an FN SC1 O/U.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
My old Kolar would have about 1 or 2 FTF per box of Top Guns, It would leave a small dent in the primer. Gave those FTF Top Guns to a friend and he had no problem getting them to fire in his 90T. The same gun would pierce Rio's on a regular basis. So at times the firing pin seemed short, other times it was to long.
Just got my new Kolar along with 3 flats of Top Gun red, white & blue, can't wait to see if it was the gun or the shell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts