Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm told that federal is no longer producing the 209 primers, only 209A.
My question is what is the difference between 209 and 209A and is the 209 still available?
Thank you in advance for your input. Joe

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Federal hasn't made the 209 in years. If you find some, they have been on a shelf for some time. I picked up some 209's from an estate sale and they work fine. I believe the last 209's came in the Red Federal boxes.

Ajax

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
huntinjoe:

The original Federal 209's may qualify as antiques.

I don't know when they went out of production but Hercules Powder Company published a small supplement to their Reloaders' Guide with a November 1993 revision date. To my knowledge it was the first introduction of the 'new' Federal 209A primer - twenty years ago last month.

sissy

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Current recipes are for 209A primers not for 209's and should not be used in place of the 209A's. If you have or get your hands on 209's refer to older loading recipes that call for 209's when building your loads.

Surfer

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is my dilema, I've been loading some 20 gauge 3/4 oz loads with unique powder in AA hulls, claybuster wads and cheddite or winchester 209 primers and I am not getting very clean results, every thing works fine, I just don't enjoy the mess at the end of the day and was thinking that a hotter primer might do the trick, I have followed the Alliant recipe to the grain and tried dropping a grain below the recipe and still not getting a complete burn. I may just have to get used to it cause it does just fine breaking clays.
Joe

·
Registered
234 Posts
Joe,

I'd stick w/the published recipe; the Federal 209A is def a hotter primer than the older ones & I would not sub it for a Federal 209 unless you call Alliant first & they tell you its OK to do so. What primer is called for in the load data you are using?

I have also noticed in the published 3/4 oz. 20 ga. loads that Unique will leave some ash. Reducing the powder charge probably makes that worse, not better. Its not a big deal, you are going to clean the gun afterwards anyway, right?

If that is what's bothering you, switch to Green Dot. You will use less powder & not have the residue ash visible afterwards. Either way, stick to published tested loads & use a scale.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Generally you'll find that you may need to reduce the powder drop a half a grain because of the 209A being a hotter primer.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I bought a couple year supply of the old (red box)209's from an estate sale. I really am going to hate seeing them run out. I'm down to my last couple thousand. They worked fine and never missed a beat.

Big Jack

·
Registered
647 Posts
If clean is what you are after, I've used American Select in 3/4 oz 20 ga loads. It is super clean. Just be careful not to exceed the Alliant recommended charges as there's not much leeway on pressure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts