Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had problems with Gold Medal shells not going off? Today I shot in the Pa state shoots Handicap Championship. I reload my own shells but I always buy new gold medals when I shoot in a big event. The 4 boxes I took with me to shoot the event had at least 5 duds in each box. I only missed 4 targets the whole event but I had 5 failure to fires which counted as 3 losses as well. The kicker is the 96 that I actually shot would have placed 3rd or 4th over all and I played all the options on the ticket which of course 96's hit I would have brought home a little over 800 bucks. I am so frustrated after today's shoot. Has anyone else had problems with Gold Medals? We've tried the duds in two other guys guns so we know it's not my gun. It looks like the primers are down in too far

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Has anyone else had problems with Gold Medal shells not going off? Today I shot in the Pa state shoots Handicap Championship. I reload my own shells but I always buy new gold medals when I shoot in a big event. The 4 boxes I took with me to shoot the event had at least 5 duds in each box. I only missed 4 targets the whole event but I had 5 failure to fires which counted as 3 losses as well. The kicker is the 96 that I actually shot would have placed 3rd or 4th over all and I played all the options on the ticket which of course 96's hit I would have brought home a little over 800 bucks. I am so frustrated after today's shoot. Has anyone else had problems with Gold Medals? We've tried the duds in two other guys guns so we know it's not my gun. It looks like the primers are down in too far

I had a bunch of Federal Papers not going off--the primers were way to low. the brass was dished--I know how you felt--The failure to fire rule should be changed if you're shooting factory ammo--

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's exactly what is wrong with these the primers are too low. I took them back to the guy I bought them from he said federal wants you to call them for reimbursement I guess they want the lot numbers off each box

·
Registered
6 Posts
yes got 500 for buckeye classic had 5 duds 4 in last hundred really messed me up started last handicap with a 25 then had 2 miss fires in a row. emailed federal they sent a call tag for ups to picked up shells. long story short they said they were in just fine. they are sending me one box for my trouble . first time user and last.

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
Although Blaser says their guns are set up for the GM, mine has the same issues. Primer is deeply set in hull. Firing pin protrusion is ample.

Gun ALWAYS works with about any other primer. I prefer the RIO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
well im shooting new browning 725 those five miss fires are the only ones i had and i have shot 775 since that no more miss fires. some aa's,rio's gun clubs and estates

·
Registered
6 Posts
Examination of the misfires that we received has shown that they meet all federal cartridge company and industry dimensional specifications.

We then measured the firing pin indent depth. Federal Cartridge Company considers .010” the absolute minimum for reliable ignition. The lightest struck primer had a firing pin indent of .0025 and the hardest struck primer had a firing pin indent of .0065. The primer seating depth was correct, as was the primer cup metal hardness for this round. We then fired all of the returned misfires in our Browning BT99 shot gun and all fired without incident. The examination lead us to the conclusion that the misfires you encountered was caused by this light firing pin blows.

There are many causes for light firing pin blows. Some of these are a broken or worn firing pin, excess dirt and/or oil in the firing pin mechanism, inclement weather or many other causes.

Since we at Federal Cartridge Company do value you as a customer, we would like to compensate you for your frustration. We will be sending you 1 box of T116 7.5 of replacement ammunition as compensation for the ammunition we picked up from you.
This was federal sent me .

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
Yes, there is another thread on here about this same subject. I had several Papers, and Plastics FTF in my Browning Cynergy several weeks ago. I have since shot about 1500 more in it and my Blaser and have not had an issue. I suspect a bad batch was the culprit.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Shot 8 boxes of the Federal Light Handicap through my SX-1 at the PA State shoot last week-no misfires. Wife shot 4 boxes of Light 7.5's Federal paper through her K-80-same result as me. Looks like most shooters opted for AA's last week because of the rebate!!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I bought new shells to shoot at "The Grand" last year, Averaged 2 FTF every 100. Looked at the guy next to me who I bought them from and made the comment, I was shooting a new F3, his comment was why do you think I am not shooting them. He was shooting a new MX10. Bought some Federal 209A primers, problem also with the primer design being to deep, several FTF's with these also.

·
Registered
22,855 Posts
Examination of the misfires that we received has shown that they meet all federal cartridge company and industry dimensional specifications.

We then measured the firing pin indent depth. Federal Cartridge Company considers .010” the absolute minimum for reliable ignition. The lightest struck primer had a firing pin indent of .0025 and the hardest struck primer had a firing pin indent of .0065. The primer seating depth was correct, as was the primer cup metal hardness for this round. We then fired all of the returned misfires in our Browning BT99 shot gun and all fired without incident. The examination lead us to the conclusion that the misfires you encountered was caused by this light firing pin blows.

There are many causes for light firing pin blows. Some of these are a broken or worn firing pin, excess dirt and/or oil in the firing pin mechanism, inclement weather or many other causes.

Since we at Federal Cartridge Company do value you as a customer, we would like to compensate you for your frustration. We will be sending you 1 box of T116 7.5 of replacement ammunition as compensation for the ammunition we picked up from you.
This was federal sent me .

I wonder Tim, about the veracity of your claim that there was something wrong with the gun. My MX10 failed to fire one of your "premium" bullets just a month ago. Neither bbl would fire the cart, the primer isn't set deep and there is no crap in the firing pin bores. No broken pin, no broken hammer spring. No ftf in 5K shells. The fact that many people are reporting Federal failures in competition ought to wake the Federal Cartridge Company up and get the QC issue solved. People won't tolerate a bad primer costing them in competition.

Don T

·
Registered
649 Posts
I actually bought 3 flats of the 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8 oz. 8's in Fed Gold Medals and had 3 FTF's in those 3 flats. One was on my 100th target of an event, I was already down one and it was the first FTF in the event for me, I put it back in the gun and it fired the 2nd time? It could be my firing pin, but at the PA state shoot this week I shot 500 Rios and no FTF. Same with the AA's I shot in handicap. Now I have also shot a few flats of Gold Medal handicaps this year and have not had a FTF with them, yet- but the 3 FTF with the 2 3/4 dram loads was disconcerting to me to say the least. I have not contacted Federal, yet- not sure I will. Their shells certainly work well when they go off!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I've shot gold medals religiously for 3 years. Registered 30000 targets and not had one ftf... Knocking on wood! But they did have a few short boxes at the grand. That was a bit unnerving, in the handicap shootoffs and not enough ammo to finish...

·
Vendor
19,786 Posts
A competent "smith" could correct most of these failure issues. the problem is you guys decide on your own that the gun is fine and it must be the shell. Do the reverse and likely you will solve the issue.

·
Banned
1,205 Posts
My MX10 failed to fire one of your "premium" bullets just a month ago.
flashmax,

When you say, "your 'premium' bullets", are you referring to Tim goetz? It appears so, as you started your writing with, "I wonder Tim, about the veracity of your claim that there was something wrong with the gun."

I think he was just relaying the message he received from Federal, not that he is speaking for or as Federal.

I could be wrong.

Shoot well

John

·
Registered
383 Posts
Bought 3 flats of Fed GM 3dram shells at the Illinois State shoot. Shot Them all, had one box with 3 FTF. All the rest were fine. Shooting a K80 that has been piercing new Remington Nitro 27 shells. It punches a hole in one 1 out of every 6 nitro shells.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
The letter from Federal is almost a carbon copy of the one I received from Federal---their answer is deny, deny, deny--if an independent tester could be found then there could be truth in the matter--my gun is a striker fired with the largest spring in the industry- I know its not the gun's fault

Remington ammo-bang
Winchester ammo-bang
Rio ammo---bang
Clever Ammo-bang
Cheap Federal---bang
Federal Papers---maybe

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
22,855 Posts
A competent "smith" could correct most of these failure issues. the problem is you guys decide on your own that the gun is fine and it must be the shell. Do the reverse and likely you will solve the issue.

Not true in my case Jack. MX10 receiver down to bare metal, bright light inspect after ultrasonic clean, replace any iffy parts including all coil springs. Try cart again. Still no fire.

Don

1 - 20 of 34 Posts