Trapshooters Forum banner

Federal Papers

1711 12
What is the going rate for once fired Federal Papers?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
8,103 Posts
I loaded Fed papers solely for the nostalgia aspect of it. While they reload just fine, they have a very short life. After a load or 2, they develop pin-holes where the paper and brass meet up and the primer pockets start leaking gas. I concluded they were a waste of money.

· Registered
12,998 Posts
I loaded Fed papers solely for the nostalgia aspect of it. While they reload just fine, they have a very short life. After a load or 2, they develop pin-holes where the paper and brass meet up and the primer pockets start leaking gas. I concluded they were a waste of money.
True you can't load them but once or twice without sorting a bunch out for pin holes. They also soak up moister on rainy days. I like them for a one and done load and love the "SMELL" of Red Dot burned in them but ,I agree ,from a practical stand point they probably aren't worth the trouble

· Registered
434 Posts
I used to load them for hunting loads especially pheasants. They had very good volume for the heavier 1 1/4 oz loads and several powders that produced the 1,225 fps that I preferred. In addition, I liked that I could eject them into the field without any guilt because I knew they would decompose rapidly.

I too remember the smell and it is very nostalgic. It is akin to Hoppes No. 9 although that one should be offered as a men's cologne fragrance!

I still think the Paper Champion Trap loads are some of the best ever made.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Years ago the only shells sold were paper. An improvement over brass but .. if you reloaded you were constantly looking at the hulls for blown mouths and pinholes. Fold crimp or rolled. And none of them really lasted past three reloads. When plastics started coming out it was a godsend for reloaders. Using a hull 4-10 times instead of max 3 saved money both ways. You didn’t constantly require new shell purchases to get reloadable hulls and reloading was MUCH cheaper than new shells. A lot of us stopped shooting paper altogether when the plastics became so good that they patterned and shot at least as good as the premium target paper shells.

· Premium Member
4,844 Posts
I also succumbed to the allure of the Fed Papers legend, bought 1K here on line. I haven't loaded them yet & I cant say what I'm waiting for. I also bought fed clone wads, 500 1. 1/8 & 500 1oz. to split the case & I had to buy a special pre crimp as well. I'm told their very soft shooters but it seems that they are probably more effort than the experience is worth. I'll get around to them sooner or later.

· Registered
7,102 Posts
I have 5 flats of papers. I bought 500 wads to use in them, just so I could say I did it and see how it went. I got a lot of crappy crimps on the hulls I tried to reload a second time, so now its just one reload for me. I am not sure I will buy any more wads when my original 500 run out, and just let the remaining once fired papers hit the ground. Unless I win the zone shoot with my paper reloads. If that happens, they will be declared magical and I will keep reloading them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.