Trapshooters Forum banner

Federal papers head splitting

3082 36
Anyone else having issues with new once fired federal papers splitting on the rim of the brass at base? I have about 10 cases and about 20 out of 25 seem to be doing this and are junk.
Writing implement Office supplies Wind instrument Lipstick Bullet
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Premium Member
8,102 Posts
I would contact Federal and send photos also get the box and show the lot number. They make it good for you.
What is it you think Federal should do for the OP? If the load functioned properly on firing, Federal has delivered what it promised. I am unaware of any warranty of fitness for reloading of the spent hulls.

· Registered
7,098 Posts
Are those photos showing a gap where the brass on the side meets the base/head stamp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are those photos showing a gap where the brass on the side meets the base/head stamp?

The above pics are showing a separation of the head stamp and the rim of base. So yes. Some have separated enough that you can slide brass down shell casing and leave head stamp piece in place

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The above pics are showing a separation of the head stamp and the rim of base. So yes. Some have separated enough that you can slide brass down shell casing and leave head stamp piece in place

· Registered
7,098 Posts
Dang. I wasn’t looking at my once fired papers that closely. I will now.

Reactions: Keith _ E

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have had different lots of Fed. Papers do this. Glad it was not just me. I think it is a mfg. problem and not a gun/headspace problem.
Good luck getting Federal to do anything about it though.
Wasn’t going to ask federal for anything. They went boom when I pulled the trigger. Just wanting to know if others had same issue. I don’t think it’s head spacing issue either just poor quality shells.

· Registered
7,098 Posts
Anyone else having issues with new once fired federal papers splitting on the rim of the brass at base? I have about 10 cases and about 20 out of 25 seem to be doing this and are junk. View attachment 1762359 View attachment 1762359
Those photos seem to be of the old Federal Papers, before the Grand brand name change? They look identical to the ones I have from before the Gold Medal Grand name change. I have fired over 600 of the old Federal Gold Medal (non Grand) hulls since this thread began without any brass base separations on the first fire. Since I find crimp quality declines rapidly after one reload, I usually just reload them once and let them fly. Do they say Grand anywhere on the hull?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.