Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some wise counsel here. I am going to look at a 1.o oz #8 shot load for my Federal Papers. I have always used 1-1/8 and all Federal components. If I throw a 1.0 oz load, do I need to use a different wad? Using 12S3 today.

Thanks, Dusty

·
Registered
124 Posts
Claybuster makes a good Federal replacement wad. CB2100-12. The place close to me that carries all types of wads didn't have a straight walled clone from Downrange and the Federal 12S0's had to be ordered, AND were a premium so I bought these from MidwayUSA. They were not terribly priced and the crimps were awesome.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Maybe not if your bar/bushing throws a true 1 oz. There is a lot of volume in the crimp of a Federal paper hull. I am loading 1 oz with 1 1/8 oz wads. clays powder and get very nice crimps. Give it a try.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Shot 4 rounds of 1 oz. Federal papers this evening.
I like you have consistently loaded and shot 1 1/8 loads.

After surviving Oral Cancer 4 times, my right cheek is recoil sensitive now, so trying a reduced load was one of my few options.....other than quitting shooting all together.

My very lethal, soft shooting load is.......
Federal Papers
Federal 12 So ( 1 oz.) Wads
17.7 grains 700 x. Although I did try 16.9 grains as well. It was too slow.
I usually try to load with Titewad, only because it's cleaner than 700 X, but I couldn't find any. LOL.
Winchester Primers

Impressions.....
Shot hit the target hard with plenty of disintegration while being surprisingly pleasant to my face.
No more need for 1 1/8oz. Loads anymore.

Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Need some wise counsel here. I am going to look at a 1.o oz #8 shot load for my Federal Papers. I have always used 1-1/8 and all Federal components. If I throw a 1.0 oz load, do I need to use a different wad? Using 12S3 today.

Thanks, Dusty
I load Federal papers exclusively for singles and doubles, using 17gr. Red Dot, Green Duster 1oz wads, 1oz #8 magnum shot, all lit off with a Cheddite 209 primer. This load absolutely crushes targets. Using the Green Duster wads, my crimps look just like factory loads..... I have loaded these for years, and the Green Duster is the very best wad I have found when it comes to loading 1oz in the papers....

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I have found the cb4100 claybuster [windjammer 7/8oz. / 1oz.] wad clone loads well in the Fed. hulls with little powder migration.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts