Trapshooters Forum banner

Federal Paper Hull - Factory Powder or similar?

4829 Views 54 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  badbaddog58
What powder is used in the Federal Paper Hulls from the factory, or it is not similar to anything available to reloaders?

Thank you.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Banned
9,591 Posts
Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Parallel
What powder is used in the Federal Paper Hulls from the factory, or it is not similar to anything available to reloaders?

Thank you.
The closest powder available to reloaders, to duplicate the factory Gold Medal Paper is Red Dot. 18 gr - 12S3 Wad - Fed. 209a Primer
1145 fps
Bump the powder to 20.5 to duplicate the 1235 Handicap load.

· Registered
13,008 Posts

Thank you.
The subject has been covered before, At one time I know they used Red Dot but that was a LONG time ago. What they use today is anybody's guess . Most likely most factory shells today are filled with a "Blended" recipe that is not available to reloaders. The Ammo factories won't say ( probably because of liability issues. ) I always used Red Dot in papers but ,you will have to decide which powder works for you.

· Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried to find it in the search, but only came up on a post in a thread after posting. Seems Red Dot. I know seldom do they disclose but figured a number of folks here would have come up with something close if not very nearly identical. Is there any other powder or consideration on reloading papers to be aware of?

· Registered
13,008 Posts
I tried to find it in the search, but only came up on a post in a thread after posting. Seems Red Dot. I know seldom do they disclose but figured a number of folks here would have come up with something close if not very nearly identical. Is there any other powder or consideration on reloading papers to be aware of?
Probably any Fast burning powder that has data listed for it will work. Promo powder is made to copy the burn rate and pressure of Red Dot . You can use it grain for grain to copy the Red Dot load BUT, DOES NOT drop the same by volume . You will probably have to adjust your bushing to use Promo as opposed to dropping Red Dot.

· Registered
2,708 Posts
Would be interesting to see a blind taste test of all the powders loaded to the same velocity with the same shot charge. In theory, they should all recoil the same leaving only the cleanliness to be a varying factor in which powder is best. Or perhaps efficiency as some powders might achieve the same speed as others BUT with less powder, such as my beloved TiteGroup.

But you load me TiteGroup, Red Dot, 700x and Clays, hell I couldn't tell ya which is which!

· Premium Member
8,105 Posts
It depends on the particluar load. The federal paper comes in 3 shot charge weights and a couple of different speeds. It is not reasonable to expect they would use the same powder in each one. I suspect in the heavier, faster loads, they use something similar to Green Dot. In the lighter loads, probably a faster burning version of Red Dot. I recall seeing some product literature from Alliant years ago that listed a couple of different versions of Red Dot with differing burns rates available to OEMs. To summarize, you can't get what they use in the factory Federal papers.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.