Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reloader Pro's,

I really considered myself pretty handy around my 3 mec 9000's. I can't for the life of me get a good finished "reload" with Fed papers hulls (the crimps just suck!!).

Is it really necessary for the "smooth" crimp starter? These are all once fired hulls. I need some advice before I just ruin these.

If I can't figure this out, I'd be willing to trade 1000 papers for 1000 Fed Gold Medal plastics.

Please see what ya'll can do for me here. I'll try anything. I've even done the oven trick.......

Thanks,
Kurt

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I use a 6 point starter but a cone (smooth) starter will usually do a very respectable job. They do look nice when you get everything right. Ross Puls

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Jerry has it right remove the pre crimp completely. Just as good as having the smooth starter.

Brady

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ditto on Jerry's method. Just remove your crimp starter and play with your final crimp depth and you'll be surprised how good the final crimp looks.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I've got a 1000 gold medal plastics I'll trade you if you get tired of messing with the papers

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
I reload once fired Fed papers on my 9000H and they look like new shells! I remove the crimp starter and let the dies do the work on the crimps.

HAP

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
I can get a good crimp without the starter or with a smooth or 6 point? I wonder if these are once fired hulls because they do get sloppy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts