Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Last night I experienced my first FTE with my P Gun. The culprit, a once fired Fed Paper that fired, broke the target & seperated from its base in my breech. At first I thought my ejector failed,nope the fed hull did.
My advice is get these out of your system, load a few boxes maybe a flat, enjoy the nostalgia & get on with whatever you regularly reload.
It is true Fed Papers are soft shooters & the smell is wonderfully aromatic especially the ride home with the empty's in the back of the car. Other than the experience & the need to scratch an itch I see no benefit to loading these hulls.
I agree with everything except the highlighted passage.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I gave up on reloading them a while back. Tried various primers but couldn’t stop the gas leakage around the primer. Don’t need my breech face flame cut around the firing pin hole.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
I gave up on reloading them a while back. Tried various primers but couldn’t stop the gas leakage around the primer. Don’t need my breech face flame cut around the firing pin hole.
Absolutely! Another significant downside to the Fed Papers. Thanks for reminding me. I've purposely used the Fed 209a's & they leak like a sieve.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Fiocchi 616s sealed the best for me. Much better than any of the USA primers. But even with those I’d guess about 25% of the rounds would show leakage.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I have reloaded many Federal paper hulls. As stated above, I cannot get the primers to seal enough to not have gas leak around them. Anyone found a way? ( I have tried Winchester, Cheddite, and Nobel primers, makes no difference) I will say that they do not all leak, many do. The other problem with them is that some of the primers seat deeper than they should causing light primer hits. I have mostly stopped using them until I can figure something out but I would really like to get back to shooting them. Regards, Bob

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
There is no good reason to reload these Federal paper hulls other than the nostalgia or the experience of the smell of Red Dot mixing with burned wax in the morning. They have a short reloading life and, as has been shown, can cause gun damage with gas leakage around the primer and the tube separating from the brass. It takes reloading about a batch or two to get it out of your system.

·
Premium Member
4,871 Posts
I have reloaded thousands of Fed papers with Win 209 primers and never had this gas leakage problem. I load them once then let them fly.....

21 - 27 of 27 Posts